Crested GEckos

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was wondering if you guys would be so kind to help me determine the morph my new cresties are. Also, do all crested geckos have the same scientific name regardless of morph, or is it different with each morph or based on something else?

Instead of reposting the pics, I am going to post the link from the single post from my thread.

Here they are:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=855714&postcount=118

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, very nice, those are gorgeous...I'm thinking about getting a gecko for starters before I move onto snakes, tarantulas, or scorpions..I really love them but my mom won't let me get any, she thinks they will get out of their enclosures...I must prove myself first ;)

EricFavez

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Paul the yellow one looks like a harlequin dont know if thats spelled right harley for short...the other looks like some kinda red dalmation. I may be wrong just taking a guess here.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would say a red dalmation and a harley with partial pinstriping... nice geckos! :)

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
glad to see everyone likes my geckos well pauls geckos now, he paul dont tell people how much i sold them to you they might be jealous;)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Also, do all crested geckos have the same scientific name regardless of morph, or is it different with each morph or based on something else?
Morphs don't have seperate scientific names--they're all the same species, like various ethnicities of human. :)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I stopped trying to keep up with the nomenclature once they hit three adjectives. They are cuties though. Love the red one.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Paul the yellow one looks like a harlequin dont know if thats spelled right harley for short...the other looks like some kinda red dalmation. I may be wrong just taking a guess here.
I would say a red dalmation and a harley with partial pinstriping... nice geckos! :)
Thanks you two, is there any site where it has a good source of information on the color morphs?

glad to see everyone likes my geckos well pauls geckos now, he paul dont tell people how much i sold them to you they might be jealous;)
Haha don't worry I won't tell. Thanks again for the awesome deal. They WILL be jealous and try to take them from me!

Oooh, you got a deal ay? Very nice :D I'm already jealous lol.
Yes, I believe I just got the best deal ever!!!!!

Morphs don't have seperate scientific names--they're all the same species, like various ethnicities of human. :)
Haha, that makes sense. Whats the Scientific name?

I stopped trying to keep up with the nomenclature once they hit three adjectives. They are cuties though. Love the red one.
ha, thats probably what Ill end up doing one day. Thanks, they are great!

While I'm at it, whats the best feeding pattern. Heres what I think I'm gonna make my feeding pattern. Let me know if this is fine, if not, tell me what to change.

Sunday,Tuesday,Thursday - Fruity Baby food
Monday, Wednesday, Friday - Crix (M & F - calcium dust, W - vitamin dust)
Saturday - a little bit of both

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Try out www.pangeareptile.com/forums .

The scientific name for them is Rhacodactylus ciliatus.

Oh, and I believe there's still an article on www.EriksReptiles.com regarding morphs. It follows the changes from hatching to adulthood, showing all the various stages of a particular morph.

I wish I had a digcam that worked.. I have a beautiful orange tiger super dalmation that was "mediocre" as a juvenile, but now he is definitely a "super dal" and getting more spots every day... still! I have a little red dal girl (hopefully) that was discarded by her breeder for being dull and "a freak"... she's fire engine red and has soooo many spots, it's unreal!

Very often, you will have a "diamond in the rough" turn into a fantastic specimen with a little time. :D

I missed the feeding questions..

I feed mine every other day, depending on ages.... youngsters up to 6-9 mos, or 20g get fed daily. I wouldn't advise feeding baby food as a staple, but rather the CGD you can get online and in some specialty stores. It has all the nutrients they need and you can even alleviate the cricket feedings, if preferable to you.

I either feed the CGD and/or fresh organic tropical fruits.. and crickets or roaches of appropriate size, gutloaded and dusted, of course. The CGD is more convenient if you have a busy schedule or a lot of animals. I work and study at home, so I have plenty of time to mix up "gecko smoothies" for my gang and barely use the CGD. I also like to give them an oppurtunity to hunt, so I don't mind dealing with the bugs. (and my T's and Beardie, not to mention a few of my larger fish, eat bugs too)

Hope this helps. I'm open to answer any questions I can. I have 11 Cresteds here, with 2 pairs breeding.

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
THanks for the links, you are very helpful

If I were to get the CGD, would I need to feed anything else?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You're welcome.. anytime. :)

Nope, you can feed the CGD exclusively if you want. Lots of people do, with the occasional bug to make the gecko feel "normal", I suppose. :rolleyes: The diet is all inclusive and complete, though.

I'm actually thinking of raising my upcoming hatchlings on it exclusively... for my own little experiment. ;)

~Aminah