Crawshayis premolt question..

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
..how long should it be? Mine 1" crawshayi has spent last two weeks underground after it blocked it's tunnels. I can see it all the time and it hasn't molted yet.. It's abdomen is nice and plump but it's white.. Does it turn black. I have understood that on the old world species it won't..

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its been awhile since i had a king baboon.

but i remember that its abdomen would turn blue/black before molt, darker exoskeleton, etc

i think it will molt soon, mine usually fasted for about a week then molted at that size, but ive kept mine in a tropical environment.

goodluck.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It has now been burried for three weeks and still no signs of a molt.. <EDIT -MrI> :confused:

I bet there's something wrong with it!

Last edited by a moderator:

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
heering80 said:
..how long should it be? Mine 1" crawshayi has spent last two weeks underground after it blocked it's tunnels. I can see it all the time and it hasn't molted yet.. It's abdomen is nice and plump but it's white.. Does it turn black. I have understood that on the old world species it won't..
My sling Crawshayi is possibly the single slowest-growing species that I own... at .5" it spent about 6 months in premolt. Compare this with my sling A. Versi which molts like every 2 or 4 weeks

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When mine was that size I was puzzled too. I took a stick and opened the burrow and threw in a crik and she took it. Now I always open it up and feed her. Maybe that is why my "Princess" took 26 months to go from 1 1/4 inches to 7 inches. If there was a molt coming the crik always made its way to the surface then I would stop feeding. Good luck they are great Ts.

wineorebellion

Arachnopeon
molt - reply

i wouldnt worry, she is probably fine, they do take some time as they get larger, temp can affect this, but as long as she is not under 70, and humidty is good, ill bet with in the month or next she willm molt, I have a cameroon tawni red babgon H.gigas , she did that for like two weeks and trapped her self in her burrow, I kinda figured she was going to molt, came out two weeks later no molt and just went about her life , so i am not sure, but tarantulas often have no explantion fo there behavior when it somes to molting and fasting. But like I said I wouldn't worry, thats a nice spider you have.

D4RK-3L3M3NT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
EDED said:
its been awhile since i had a king baboon.

but i remember that its abdomen would turn blue/black before molt, darker exoskeleton, etc

i think it will molt soon, mine usually fasted for about a week then molted at that size, but ive kept mine in a tropical environment.

goodluck.
Tropical? I thought this sp. was to be kept rather dry?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Old world species still turn darker before a molt but it isnt as easy to see because they do not have bald patches where they have flicked hairs in defense.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
revxus said:
Tropical? I thought this sp. was to be kept rather dry?
IMO this species should be kept on the drier side. Once its substate dries out comlpetely. I soak half and let it dry again.

wineorebellion

Arachnopeon
King Baboon

that should be at a humdity of 60 -75 , ill double check, but i thouhgt it was one the more arid located of the baboons, as opposed to some of the more tropecial costal african burrowers who are maintained at 80 -85, and remember there burrow is the area the spider is mainating its humidty in, were are just playing wetherman

<EDIT - watch your step. One more and you'll get a vacation. -MrI>

Last edited by a moderator:

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i know king baboons should be kept somewhat drier than other baboons, what i was trying to say was that, mine's premolt period was probably cut very short due to high humidity and high temp, thats my pure guess though

heering80, if it looks fine, monitor everyday but i wouldnt bother it too much and i wouldnt stress myself over it too much either, again goodluck and let us know when it molts.

Elson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't worry...mine did the same thing like urs...it took about 4 -5 weeks to molt...

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info everybody :) Actually now that I look more closely, I think I can see some color change. Maybe it's my imagination though. Yesterday I gave it a crick and it ate it no questions asked and sealed the exits again right after eating the crick. Well, let's see..

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Finally it molted. Funny thing is, that it ate a crick two days before the molt.. :?

Thanks again for your effort :)

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Finally it molted. Funny thing is, that it ate a crick two days before the molt.. :?

Elson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heering80 said:

Oh really??? mine did the same thing like urs !! weird huh? :?