Craw/Cray fish lovers?

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any other Crawfish enthusiasts around?

I just finished setting up a tank for this (what I think is) female.

Anyone know the species?
I'd love to see photos of your crayfish!

Athelas

Arachnopeon
Nice coloration! I've kept them short-term but not enough to offer much insight into species. Whereabouts was she collected?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in animal behavior? Visit The Birds and the Bees: Things you were
afraid to ask about the secret lives of animals. http://bird-n-bee.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I currently keep Procambearus marmorkrebs, marbled crayfish. They are parthenogenetic, meaning a female produces clones of herself.
Easy to care for, and an interesting species.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know what species of crayfish you have there, but I've kept Orconectes rusticus, Procambarus clarkii, and Cherax quadricarinatus. Did catch yours and do you know where it's from? I'm only keeping one at the moment, a Cherax quad. and here's a few semi-recent pics of what it kind of looks like:

This one has gone through 4 molts in my care and is about 5-6 inches in length from "head" to tail. It's a much more dark blue/sapphire color than the green that the pictures show. I just bought a new camera too, so hopefully I will be getting good pictures up soon :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great picures. What is that little guy doing? Does he collect up all of that seaweed into a ball to munch on? That's kinda cute.

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful crawfish loaticus!

And a cloning crawfish? Crazy!

This crawfish that I have was caught in Central Mississippi in a hole just near a large lake.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What a pretty one! The ones I find at the creek here are blue-ish green to tan when they are small or juvies and the adults gets a rusty red color.

Make sure your tank has plenty of filtration and oxygen (definately lots of oxygen in the water if the female is carrying eggs or they'll rot) and take out uneaten food. Crayfish can be kind of stinky if the tank isn't kept clean. In more than three, they almost make crickets smell devine. LOL!

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just finished setting up a new tank, it is very air-ated and well filtered.
I also have a few small, inch long crawfish in there to help keep clean. Im thinking about adding small freshwater shrimp

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They're called crawdads. ;)
HA! I remember when I first heard somebody call them "crayfish", I was a kid. I thought, "Where are YOU from?! You ain't from around these parts is ya. You in America now. Theys called craawwwwdaaads."

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Moltar: that little guy is about 6 inches long with antennae twice the size of her body! That thing it's munching on is a moss ball I bought at the pet store :)
It's a treat I buy her when I go out of town for a week or so and can't feed her.

spider: thanks man! Hopefully you'll take more pics of your crays for us.

Galapoheros: lol, nice.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just finished setting up a new tank, it is very air-ated and well filtered.
I also have a few small, inch long crawfish in there to help keep clean. Im thinking about adding small freshwater shrimp
You can try it, but crayfish eat just about anything they can catch.
Some of the shrimp available now are awesome! I keep a couple species. I got sidetracked with my terrestrial inverts, otherwise I would have many more.

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll be visiting the local park this coming weekend, if I catch a baby turtle of some sort, then I'll be releasing the crawfish. (I catch them in my yard) up to seven inches long too!

I'd really love to have the fish tank full of Shrimp and some top minnows with a couple of baby razorback musk turtles if possible.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The musk turtles would be great! Unfortunately that will end up being the only thing left in the tank. As long as the other inhabitants are considered as a food source that you will be replacing, and you expect that.
If the turtles are very small, and the others qiuite large, it may work for a while.

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont mind the current inhabitants becoming a food source, but other than that I will be feeding them fresh, but dead, fish. (easy for babies to eat)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We keep three species: Procambarus clarkii (female), male Procambarus acutus acutus, and 5 Orconectes cyanodigitus (sp?). We have one male and four females of the Orconectes so we will be breeding.