Crap! I'm all out of Pinheads!

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Darnit! I was just starting to find these little bugs nice to feed my wee ones.. I'll have to breed my own so; do I just buy lots of adult crix (which i always do) then pick the females out after a while and put em in a container with moist soil? that it? how long does it take for the cricketeggs to hatch? how many pinheads can a female produce?

cheers

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Simply chop up the bigger ones into little pieces. Works for most people.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Either chop up the big ones or, if you want a moving prey that is small enough, get mealworms and allow them to turn into beetles and cut the head part out of the body. There should be 2 legs left, which allow the beetle head part to mover around but is small enough for your lings. I've been doing both methods and both work just fine.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by schlinkey
Darnit! I was just starting to find these little bugs nice to feed my wee ones.. I'll have to breed my own so; do I just buy lots of adult crix (which i always do) then pick the females out after a while and put em in a container with moist soil? that it? how long does it take for the cricketeggs to hatch? how many pinheads can a female produce?

cheers
Instead of putting the adults in with moist soil, just put them on dry substrate and put a small container of moist soil in there that they can climb into. I'd put both males and females in there. Leave the container with moist soil/peat moss/vermiculite for a week or so and then put it in a separate smaller container with no substrate. Keep the humidity up in this container and you should have pinheads within a couple of weeks. I find it easiest to use a square container (or cricket corral) with a slick surface so you can pour some into a smaller plastic cup or glass and then dish them out one at a time with a small artist's paint brush.

Botar

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok thanks Botar, I'll try that. I dont use substrate for my crix though. Maybe Ill give em some peat. OOT: Wow a HUGE tegenaria spider's climbin on my wall! *puts in a delicup* sweet ;D

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by schlinkey

cheers
I don't bother with pinheads, I buy 5 week old crickets 500 or 1,000 at a time, they will live for a few weeks.....long enough to get fed out before they die of old age, and to feed the tiny lings I take the back jumping legs off from the largest crickets and toss them in for the lings.
Ed

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i didnt really ask for advice on general fooditems for my slings, i know (and have done so alot before all the pinheads popped up) that dead crix works fine. I just wanted some info about breeding the nasties myself ;) i actually found it a lot easier just dumping a couple pinheads, and watch em get pounced, than dissecting hyperactive/still thrashing adults, whcih get all stinky and moldy after quite a short while.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not letting the moist substrate dry out during incubation seems to be the most critical point. I put the container with the egg-laying medium in a kritter keeper and cover it with cellophane and poke just a few holes. This keeps the humidity up while allowing a bit of fresh air. I've had good luck with this method.

Botar