Crabspider/ bananaspider?

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone know anything of this spider? It walks sideways like a crab, have a shape similar to a crab.... Anyone?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There are two different spider families commonly refered to as crab spiders.

There is the Thomisidae which range in size from around 1/7" to 5/8" and are commonly found hunting prey on flowers and plants. The most common Thomisid in North America and Europe is Misumena vatia which is often found on yellow or white plants and can change color to blend in.

There is the Heteropodidae/Sparassidae which are commonly called giant crab spiders, huntsmans, or banana spiders. These range in size from around 3/8" to about 2" in body length, with the legspan of large tropical species being around 7" or 8". The very common worldwide Heteropoda venatoria gets around 4" in legspan and is usually a tan color.

Alex S.

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, then i got a hole bunch of eggs whith legs of the Heteropoda venatoria.....:rolleyes: Dont realy know what to do with them thoug...

They havent started crawlig aroud yet, the mother just died yesterday, so now i moved the egg in another cup, with vermeculite/ peet (?) mixture. Is that a good idea? They are not getting wet, because they are on a peace of plastic.

they are sooo smaall, loke like mites to mee! :) hehe

I put a tiny crunched cricet in there to... Not sure they need that yet though.... They are under a lightbulb to get some heat...

Does this sound like a good idea, or is it anything i should do different???

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Heteropodidae

This may sound sad, but you will want to keep them together and let them prey on each other. This way the strongest survive and grow. This is the way it happens in the wild as well. Once they start getting a little larger you can try feeding them fruit flies. You will also want to keep them humid and moist as huntsman are tropical spiders and the babies will need this to stay healthy.

Alex S.

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats sounds clever! I realy dont want like 200 of this spider :) May sound cruel, but it's tarantulas i'm into :rolleyes: Just got this for free

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hehe..:) I could do that, it's just a itsybitsy problem.... it's freesing outside, and there is a "few" miles between us :(

You could come to norway and get them though!! You'll get them all for free (Exept for one or two maby) :D hehehe.....

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oops! Great attention to detail, huh? :rolleyes:

Well, I'd certainly help if I could. :) Good luck with them all.

Atrax