Could you keep a tarantula on concrete?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Could you theoretically keep a tarantula on concrete for it's whole life if you met it's food,water and humidity requirements? Discuss.
No one would ever house a T on concrete, One fall could kill it also . Stick to normal substrate , I hope you don't plan on doing this:clown::clown .

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
This might sound stupid but wouldn't concrete be kind of cold for a tarantula to hang out on? I'm no scientist, I just know how cold concrete is to walk on. :)

cold blood

Staff member
This is just speculation, but I'd guess the op had urban sprawl on his mind when posting this...lots of formerly native t habitat is paved every day. Will they, can they survive this inevitable (in some areas) situation?

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I and no one I know has NO plans on ever housing a T on concrete, it would take a ton of effort to actually mix concrete and put into an enclosure and then let it set when I can easily buy dirt which looks better and would be easier to setup, this is a harmless question and I wondered if a T could theoretically live on concrete if all it's food/ water needs were met. I'm a natural setup guy only, I won't even buy those half wooden hides from pet stores because they don't look natural enough to me. "Could humans theoretically live on Mars?" Arachnoboards answer: why would they want to?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
They do love to burrow under concrete though, a few rare aphonopelma in california have been discovered this way. Where concrete meets (largely) undisturbed habitat, you can find lots of scorpions and tarantulas strongly preferring to burrow alongside concrete rain gutters on hillsides, and along brick walls. Asphalt is even more attractive, because it absorbs much more heat. They think it's just another cozy rock to tunnel beneath.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
They do love to burrow under concrete though, a few rare aphonopelma in california have been discovered this way. Where concrete meets (largely) undisturbed habitat, you can find lots of scorpions and tarantulas strongly preferring to burrow alongside concrete rain gutters on hillsides, and along brick walls. Asphalt is even more attractive, because it absorbs much more heat. They think it's just another cozy rock to tunnel beneath.
I know that aphonopelma love to burrow under rocks in the wild.

Montgg

Arachnosquire
Hey I was wondering I can't find any dirt where I live except nature dirt from wild. I was wondering if I could use nan bread and bake it so no mold can grow and use it for my taratula . This is. Serious question.... I could replAce it every couple weeks and paper towel is expensive

cold blood

Staff member
Hey I was wondering I can't find any dirt where I live except nature dirt from wild. I was wondering if I could use nan bread and bake it so no mold can grow and use it for my taratula . This is. Serious question.... I could replAce it every couple weeks and paper towel is expensive
You don't want to be replacing your base sub nearly that often, less the better. And paper towel is not really suitable to be in an enclosure.

As long as you can be sure there are no pesticides in the soil (no easy guarantee in this world), and you sterilize it, it should be fine....much, much better than paper towels. Dirt works just fine, but most use coco fiber as substrate.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I would like to revisit cookie dough substrate.... For me, not my spiders.....

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Just collect some dirt and bake it in an oven. just don't hit a mine with your shovel.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally I just buy a bunch of igneous rocks online and crush them up and use those as substrate. But that's just me! (sarcasm) :)

Montgg

Arachnosquire
ya the dirt we have is like sand and when wet it turn hard. Can i use baked dry bread? My dad works in a Bazaar and has lots of bread. It holds humidity in well and if i bake it kill all germ so no mold and incest can get in. Sorry for bad english using translator

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
ya the dirt we have is like sand and when wet it turn hard. Can i use baked dry bread? My dad works in a Bazaar and has lots of bread. It holds humidity in well and if i bake it kill all germ so no mold and incest can get in. Sorry for bad english using translator
What species are you keeping in Afghan out of curiosity?