Could This Be A Male (OBT)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually think my OBT is a male because on the front two legs he has these things sticking out like what look to be limbs sticking out of a branch. and his paps have become more rounded (If I was seeing this stuff right). since I dont see the redness of the bulbs I dont think he is a mature male.

Also he is very leggy and after his 100% complete post molt, he only ate 2 crickets and usually he eats 4 or more stuffing them all in his mouth at once.

could the fact that he only eats half the amount he use to eat when I got him confirm that he is sort of speak a wandering male? I'll take pictures to add to this soon as he comes out again probably tonight.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mature male :)

Once the males mature they dont eat as much as they're set on mating. How long ago did he mature? Has he made a sperm web yet?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If he has round palps and "hooks" on the front legs then he is mature. Go find him a girlfriend now

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If he has round palps and "hooks" on the front legs then he is mature. Go find him a girlfriend now
I thought for a tarantula to be a mature male the has to have the reddish looking color knees in the area where its usually a bright white coloration?

Honestly, I dont know when he matured because the last time he molted was about 2 -3 months ago and he hasnt spun any sperm webs at all... I really hope they only spin sperm webs OUTSIDE of the hide.

because if they spin sperm webs inside of the hide then he could have done it already and I didn't know.

he is in a half of a 10 gallon tank and i was told the male has to be put into the female's enclosure...can i re house the male in something else...then when i get the female house the female in the previous (now empty) enclosure I had the male in..then put the male in there w/ her after about two weeks? Also when i get a female can i keep them housed together until they mate? or should i feed her for up to a month first then put her in there w/ him?

Another question :

if I brought a 3"+ obt female can I mate her with my male if she is only in fact 3" inches? I was told even though some people wait until their T's reach maximum inches before mating they can still be mated at smaller sizes

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
because if they spin sperm webs inside of the hide then he could have done it already and I didn't know.
That is probably what happened or will happen if it hasnt already

Also when i get a female can i keep them housed together until they mate? or should i feed her for up to a month first then put her in there w/ him?
You wont have time to raise a female. You will need to find someone with a ready female to send to. He wont live much longer.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is probably what happened or will happen if it hasnt already

You wont have time to raise a female. You will need to find someone with a ready female to send to. He wont live much longer.
I thought they lived up to 2 yrs?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe 2 years from hatching out to death but I assure you he wont live 2 more years. More like 6-8 months if you're lucky

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe 2 years from hatching out to death but I assure you he wont live 2 more years. More like 6-8 months if you're lucky
Another question :

if I brought a 3"+ obt female can I mate her with my male if she is only in fact 3" inches? I was told even though some people wait until their T's reach maximum inches before mating they can still be mated at smaller sizes

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Another question :

They can mate at smaller sizes than alot of people believe. 3 inches is pretty small though. You might see what will happen. Be sure to document it as it would be pretty interesting to see if it actually mates and makes a sac.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They can mate at smaller sizes than alot of people believe. 3 inches is pretty small though. You might see what will happen. Be sure to document it as it would be pretty interesting to see if it actually mates and makes a sac.
Ok so if it does make a sac I should probably be aware of the fact that my sac size will be cut in half because of the size that it may breed at?

Then i should cut that number in half because if she does make a sac that doesnt mean all them would be alive by the time I took them out.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Look at breeding reports and things,do your research before even attempting to breed these! (or any spider come to that!)

Everything has to be correct. Temperatures, humidity, processes to make females lay etc. It's not as easy as some people think it is. I'd wait for your female to moult in your care. Then wait a month and attempt to mate. By this time your male will have made a sperm web.