Could someone please explain what a "50/50" is?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have seen the term 50/50 used a lot.I was just wondering exactly what it means.My understanding is that it's when someone with a MM sends the MM to a person with a MF and the want to breed.Then the person breeds the Ts,and hatches the sack.Then they send half the babies to the person who sent the MM.Is this correct?I see 2 problems with this.First,wouldn't it be cheaper just to purchase a MM and keep all the babies to sell?Secondly,how do you know if the person that hatches out the eggs will actually tell you the correct ammount of babies that hatched.They could easily say that it was a bad sack and only 20 hatched.Then they send you 10 and sell the remaining babies,much more than their "10".Could someone shine some light on this for me?Thanks!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You more or less just described it to a T.......

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh...okay thanks.So what about the 2 problems I mentioned?I ask because my little G.Pulchripes that I got as a 1/4" sling just molted to about 2.75" after almost a year,and the molt had no spermathacae...so it's a male and I wanted to try to loan him off when he matures.To anyone who says this is a super slow growing T,I disagree!almost 3" in a year.Not fast growing,but not slow either.

Bengal21

Arachnopeon
The short answer is: You don't know if the person you are dealing with is honest and will honor the deal. That being said it would be good to know the person you're dealing with before hand, or check reviews. There are certainly a lot of people who have a reputation that I would be comfortable dealing with.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You're quite right to consider a purchase of a MM as the best deal, however MM are not always available or in the best fertility period in relation to your recently matured female. You might also consider the difficulty of separating, raising and selling 100-2000 slings!
Its often good policy for the person who provides the male to help with sourcing any relevant information.
Its very much built on trust and those that break that trust are often found to be berated in forums resulting in a lack of trust from the whole community.
The 50/50 deal remain with the partnering, therefore if the owner of the mated female decides to sell it should be made clear that the deal follows to the new owner with the person who originally provided the male, but first the female should be offered to the owner of the male.
Once breeding has taken place the male may be forwarded to other female owners.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Typically the Owner of the MM pays for shipping to the owner of the female. If the female is successful the owner of the female pays for shipping back to the owner of the male. Now, couple of points... ALWAYS negotiate everything in advance. Say you want the male back, YOU should pay for shipping that back. Say you want the male forwarded to another date, YOU should also pay that "IF" the person with the female is willing to ship the MM.

Another note... You can negotiate ANY terms you like. I have noticed a ton of cheapo's out there with MM's that never seem to want to pay for shipping to get me their MM. You can do whatever you like, but negotiate in advance.

On the flip side... I have sent out TONS AND TONS of MM's and have yet to get a viable cut of slings. I got wind of one that is sitting on a sack currently so that is cool!

Another piece of advice to anyone holding a female on a 50/50... COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE! I can't get over how many people fall off the face of the earth once they pair and the male is gone. Just a simple "yep, she is getting fat" email once a month would be PERFECT!

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
who tends to pay shipping in these cases
It can go many different ways. It is important to work out those details BEFORE any T's are shipped.

Usually the Males owner pays for shipping him to the Female (and on to anyone else that he needs to go to) then IF there are babies the Females owner pays shipping of those back to the male's owner.

inGOODspirits

Arachnopeon
there should be a contract form here? like a fill in the blank, like my landlord forms are. I am looking for some males so this is why I am intersted

Last edited:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
there should be a contract form here? like a fill in the blank, like my landlord forms are. I am looking for some males so this is why I am intersted
I'm sure it has been thought of, but if you live by the rule, don't deal with people you don't trust, you will be just fine AND have much less paperwork!

I fear the day people start coming up with contracts to sign just to do 50/50's...

HorrorPhD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have noticed a ton of cheapo's out there with MM's that never seem to want to pay for shipping to get me their MM.
I don't usually post on these forums, but I wanted to point out that it might not always be a case of someone being cheap.

For example, in the case of my MMs, I ask that the female's owner pay shipping of the MM and I pay for my half of any resulting slings (and to be clear, I state that right up front in the ad for loan so there's no confusion). I'm not the only one who does it this way, and it has nothing to do with me being cheap - it has everything to do with me minimizing potential loss since I was burned twice on my first two loans. :evil: :wall:

And yes, you can help minimize your losses by only loaning to those with reviews - I understand this. However, there are folks out there, myself included, that don't frequent this forum as their main board and may only have one or two reviews - or none at all, despite having been in the hobby for several months or years. I don't feel that those people should be penalized by not even getting the chance at getting their males.

Having the female's owner pay in this case allows a "rookie" or "unknown" access to the MM they need, while at the same time assuring me that if they (the female's owner) should choose to screw me, the only thing I'm out in the whole deal is the MM itself (and not the MM PLUS $30ish bucks and materials in express shipping). And if I get my half of the slings out of the deal, I post a nice review for that female's owner and (tadaa!) we have a reputation started and future loans can then be dealt with in a more "standard" fashion. :D

I'm sure that there are those out there who don't want to pay for shipping just to save a buck - but I also wanted to shed a little light on another aspect of the coin as well. I hope it was helpful. :)

Jen

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't usually post on these forums, but I wanted to point out that it might not always be a case of someone being cheap.

For example, in the case of my MMs, I ask that the female's owner pay shipping of the MM and I pay for my half of any resulting slings (and to be clear, I state that right up front in the ad for loan so there's no confusion). I'm not the only one who does it this way, and it has nothing to do with me being cheap - it has everything to do with me minimizing potential loss since I was burned twice on my first two loans. :evil: :wall:

And yes, you can help minimize your losses by only loaning to those with reviews - I understand this. However, there are folks out there, myself included, that don't frequent this forum as their main board and may only have one or two reviews - or none at all, despite having been in the hobby for several months or years. I don't feel that those people should be penalized by not even getting the chance at getting their males.

Having the female's owner pay in this case allows a "rookie" or "unknown" access to the MM they need, while at the same time assuring me that if they (the female's owner) should choose to screw me, the only thing I'm out in the whole deal is the MM itself (and not the MM PLUS $30ish bucks and materials in express shipping). And if I get my half of the slings out of the deal, I post a nice review for that female's owner and (tadaa!) we have a reputation started and future loans can then be dealt with in a more "standard" fashion. :D

I'm sure that there are those out there who don't want to pay for shipping just to save a buck - but I also wanted to shed a little light on another aspect of the coin as well. I hope it was helpful. :)

Jen
I hear what you are saying Jen. My theory is the MM actually has the largest Risk vs Reward ratio. But as far as the person with the female paying shipping, I agree and was probably a little shallow for assuming everyone was cheap. For that I apologize. But there were a few that I have dealt with that definitely fit the cheap ass or broke category.

But as you said and I said... Negotiate all terms clearly and there will never be an issue. I learned that one the hard way! :)