Costra Rican zebra vs. Curlyhair

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well,

I'm going to a pet store later and funds are low but I'm coming home with either a Aphonopelma seemanni or Brachypelma albopilosum since I can't afford both. So any recommendations of one of these over the other. Which of the two are more active? Thanks for any info in advance.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally.....

I would go with the Costa Rican Zebra just for the looks but I do believe that a Curly-hair will be out and about more than the "CRZ".

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm a fan of the curlies myself. Very big for a Brachy with a subtle beauty all their own. Both tend to dig a bit, but curlies are more creative in my opinion. The zebras have just never lit my fire.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you like the looks of both, then I would go with the B. albopilosum. They are usually pretty docile and they have great appetites.

John

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My vote would also be with the curly. They get large, are very attractive, and no where near as skitish as the A. seemani.

BullF-16

Arachnopeon
I have a 3 inch A. Seemanni. Neat T, but fairly skittish and fast. I also have 2 sling A. Albopilosum. I hear they are very docile and a great T if you want to handle them.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have no will power......I went to the store...about 45 minute drive....When I got there they had 1 zebra and 2 curlys. I tapped MAC and got one of each. The curley is a fat little spider and the zebra is kind of thin but I'll fix that. **Mental note to self**--Leave MAC card at home when shopping for tarantulas!-- Thanks for the feedback but my lack of self-control solved the issue for me. =D

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
I have no will power......I went to the store...about 45 minute drive....When I got there they had 1 zebra and 2 curlys. I tapped MAC and got one of each. The curley is a fat little spider and the zebra is kind of thin but I'll fix that. **Mental note to self**--Leave MAC card at home when shopping for tarantulas!-- Thanks for the feedback but my lack of self-control solved the issue for me. =D
Good Luck with your new curly and seemanni!

JAmes

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B.albopilosum all the way..

They are very docile and adorable... I have also never had one feeding problem with mine.. She eats anything I put in there.. They are like big fat voracious teddy bears :)

Last edited:

BullF-16

Arachnopeon
Raveness, great to hear. Hope mine are the same way when thdy grow up. Currently about 1/2 inch slings

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You will enjoy these spiders. I have had a few of both and they are both a great species. Not overly aggressive and very hardy. Good luck.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For fifteen years I dismissed Curlies as "boring, dull and plain"
And then I went and got myself a baby one - and it's rapidly becoming my favourite spider. I've never seen such an eating machine - this spider will munch anything you throw at it :)

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have got B. albopilosum about 1" now. I have got no problems with this T :) She/he eats everything I put in the box. And burrows almost all of the time (apart from eating time ;p ). It is so fascinating to watch her/him putting some ground from one corner to another. I am really very happy about this spider :D

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are both small spiders(juveniles). My rosie now looks big and impressive. They are in the adjustment phase. Both are up in the corners of the enclosure which I guess is common behavior since its what the rosie did when I first got her. The CR zebra is a bettter climber than I have thus far been accustomed to seeing. It has walked the length of the enclosure up the wall and across the top and back down the wall at high speed without missing a step. The curly has done nothing except some drooling and minor grooming.

Here's a pic of the curly

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both of these spiders are in the smallest size pet pal.

And here's the zebra:

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have absolutely adore my B. albo. She took my Arachnohobby virginity. In other words...she was my first. lol. Probably still my fav. Not to mention a tough beast. I've mentioned before that when I first got her long ago I got drunk and dropped her three times from about 4-5'. What a champ she is.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I cut up an empty plastic pill bottle to make a tube for a shelter(I cleaned it well). The Curly has decided that its not a good burrow but an excellent entrance and is burrowing down into the substrate and using the excess to pile up around the tube. Its a very active earth mover. I'm having a great time watching it dig. :)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like to see my spiders, so I'm not a big fan of obligated burrowers. I have to put my vote in for the curly hair.

Jon

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THe zebra doesn't seem to adapt to new surroundings as quickly as the curly hair and hasn't attempted any burrowing. I fed it a mealworm. need to go get some crickets or wax worms if available tomorrow since that was my last one. The zebra can use some fatting up.