Costa Rican Zebra (Aphonopelma seemanni)

happymeal

Arachnopeon
Thought I would share.

This is my Costa Rican Zebra (Aphonopelma seemanni) fresh from a molt. You can't see the color to well beacuse of my crappie digicam. But it's a beutiful blue.

Attachments

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is still under 1" and looks nothing like that. It is getting ready to molt soon. It is a neat little T. I look forward to it looking like that, but I'm enjoying it's youth.

Botar

happymeal

Arachnopeon
I've had her since she was about 2". Great & hardy T, and you can tell she's a girl beacuse she has the worst mood swings.;P

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think I'll leave that one alone. I isolate myself enough by just being me.

Botar

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My A Seemani was almost as mean as an Usumbura. It snapped at me all the time.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
My A Seemani was almost as mean as an Usumbura. It snapped at me all the time.
I'd hesitate to say my seemanni is as mean as an Usambara, but she smacked my hand with her front legs once when I got too close to her during vivarium maintenance. It was the first time I'd ever had that happen to me, and it gave me quite a turn!

Joy

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Usumbura is such a devil. But the A seemani I had didnt ever like me. My Usumbura only has a negative attitude at certain times of day.

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi: I have a question about this A. Seemani. We got a spider at a pet store, and they told us it was a rose hair. We knew it wasn't, so we brought her home and looked on the net to see what she was. We thought she was the A. Seemani, and then she molted several weeks ago, and was the prettiest blue you ever saw. So then we started looking at pics again, and the L. Striatus resembled her also. So how can you tell the two species apart. I would really like to know what she is. She can be a little agressive. Thanks, Pam

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. seemani has two color phases, a brown and bluish black. I had always thought it was an either/or but as your experience and others I have read shows, they can change from the brown to the blue-black.

At any rate, the odds are pretty overwhelming that you've got a seemani because even if the pet store has no idea exactly what a seemani is, they know what one costs -about $4 or so to them for an adult versus about $4 or so for a 1/2" sling of the L. striatus.

happymeal

Arachnopeon
When I got mine it was a dull brown, it molted and it was like it was a totally diffrent T's dark blue & black, after that every molt she has been getting more blue than black.

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a mature male A.seemani and it went from the blue/black "Zebra" look to a dark black with a copper color fringing the carapace. I am assuming these are mature male colors... can anyone clarify?

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks alot CodeMonkey and everyone else who responded to my question. I knew when I seen that picture last night that we definetly had a A. Seemani. After a molt they are just beautiful. We have a Greenbottle blue and my A. Seemani put that spider to shame. So thanks again for the help, Pam:)