Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Costa Rica '06

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by Philth, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Philth

Philth N.Y.H.C. Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    My next stop was Arenal. The Arenal volcano is active and you could hear and see small eruptions at night.:cool:

Attached Files:

2. Loaf

Loaf Arachnosquire

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I went to Cost Rica about 8 years ago, it was awesome! Looks like you had a wonderful time. Did you get to see the sea turtles lay there eggs, or the hatchling go out to sea??

3. Philth

Aphonopelma sp.

Attached Files:

4. Crotalus

Crotalus Arachnoking Old Timer

Great pictures Phil! Thanks for posting! How big was the mesomelas?

5. Philth

@ Loaf, I watched some Green sea turtles lay there eggs, but no pics as this is very protected. I wasnt evan allowed anywhere by the beach at night. Watching a 4 foot turtle crawl back into the ocean is something I'll never forget though.:cool:

@ Lelle, that mesomelas was prob around 6". She was quite calm, compared to the ones I found last year. (screen names stink;) )
    Later, Tom

6. Philth

amphibians

The camouflage of the first one was awesome. From a distance I thought it was a dead snake.:? It jumped when I poked at it with my snake hook . Scared the hell outta me.

Attached Files:

7. Snipes

Snipes Arachnoprince Old Timer

Jeez! Im going there for Xmas. What camera did you use? Those are some crystal clear shots!

8. eman

eman Arachnobaron Old Timer

Your pictures are simply amazing! Thank you for sharing.

What camera/lens kit do you use?

Regards,

Eman

9. Randolph XX()

Randolph XX() Arachnoprince Old Timer

It is M.elephus, one of the most popular beetles that can easily reach WC size in captivity, aorund 110mm-135mm

10. Jeff_C

Jeff_C ArachnoAddicted Old Timer

Tom,

Great Pics! I am so going with you next year...wherever you decide to go.

Jeff

11. Philth

Cool,think south of Costa Rica Jeff.:cool:

Coatimundi , Some poeple were feeding these along the side of the road. ( i dont recomend feeding wild life ) I stoped to take pics and were soon surrounded by about 30 of them.

Attached Files:

12. Loaf

Loaf Arachnosquire

The Caotimundi sure are cute, but it sure would be scary to be surrounded by 30 of them. If you started running away, do you think they would chase after you? Man what a scary thought, being chased by 30 Coatimundi. :D :D

13. syndicate

syndicate Arachnoemperor Old Timer

USA
    philth can i come to :D

14. Stefan2209

Stefan2209 Arachnodemon Old Timer

Hi there,

the two first pictured (page 1, first post) true spiders:

1.) Cupiennius getazi

2.) possibly Phoneutria boliviensis
    (and damn, i really hope i´m wrong on that one! I´m having some pics of proofed P. boliviensis from CR that show a much brighter colour form, looks much nicer to me. Wouldn´t make things any better to learn that even in a so confined area there are two different forms of the very same species around...)

Greetings,

Stefan

15. Crotalus

Crotalus Arachnoking Old Timer

Colors varies in most species of spiders so I wouldnt be surprised if there were a few colorforms in CR.
    However, that spider could be Ctenus or another genus, but it sure have the P. look to it

16. Sobrino

Sobrino Arachnoknight

NYC
    wow awsome pics....lol...i always see all of the animals in your pics lol...im costa rican and its awsome over there....its a very recommended place and i currently got 3 houses over there:)
    well awsome pics...im going back to visit next year so ill be sure to put up some pics

17. nepenthes

nepenthes Arachnobaron

:eek:

AWSOME!

I never have seen that last mammal before, mind elaborating on them a little bit?

18. lizmotobike

lizmotobike Arachnosquire Old Timer

lovely pictures. I need to go there! may i copy a pic of the coatis for my computer wallpaper? pleeaaase.............

19. Anastasia

Anastasia Arachnoprince Old Timer

US
    Simply Amazin and beautiful what Nature brings
    all the colors and wonders
    I jes love it
    Thank you :D Philth

20. Philth

Caotimundi, There like racoons, sort of,Thats all I know:eek:

As long as its for personal use only, no prob:cool:

@ Stefan, thanks for all info on the spiders:clap:

This threads a bit old now, but since I'm here, a few more from Costa Rica.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.