Cork bark

Greg Nel

Arachnopeon
I recently got some cork bark and following the advice I washed it and put it in the oven. There things went wrong. I forgot it and I started to smell burning. There is black patches on it but no ash on it or burnt smell. Is it still safe to use

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I recently got some cork bark and following the advice I washed it and put it in the oven. There things went wrong. I forgot it and I started to smell burning. There is black patches on it but no ash on it or burnt smell. Is it still safe to use
Throw it away and buy more cork bark.

You do not need to wash it and then cook it.

Or...completely ignore me as I'm completely wrong 🥴

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No need to throw it away. Scrape off the dark parts if you don't like them, like you do for burned toast.

Or leave it as is, do you think spiders don't use burned wood? They do. :rolleyes: :rofl:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorched cork bark is fine - just make sure it's cooled completely before putting it in the enclosure with live animals.

I've made that mistake a time or two myself (forgetting the cork bark in the oven, that is) and the blackened or scorched bark doesn't hurt your spiders or other pets.

While soaking and "cooking" cork bark isn't always necessary, I have found it the most effective means of eliminating stowaways - because it really sucks when you discover that a previously undetected hitchhiking spider had hidden away in one of the pockets in your cork bark, and subsequently emerged and eaten one of your pets! (I've had this happen with juvenile amblypygi - and my husband has had the same experience with baby geckos.)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Buy cork bark from eBay Italy. Just type 'corteccia di sughero': Great prices for the quantity of that, no need for wash and put the cork bark in the oven, chances are that including shipping and customs prices, would cost less than buying the same quantity in the U.S. or South Africa (here's so cheap to the point that often I throw away cork bark because I'm lazy to reuse that).
Due to site rules can't post the links.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
here's so cheap to the point that often I throw away cork bark because I'm lazy to reuse that)

WASTEFUL, shame on you. You are not Swiss or German that's for sure. I bet you tell your Ts to reuse molts.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
if you want to treat your bark, toss in a zip lock and toss in the freezer. that way you don't burn your house down

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Cork bark does not need to be sterilized. They are fine the way are in most cases.

Greg Nel

Arachnopeon
Throw it away and buy more cork bark.

You do not need to wash it and then cook it.

Or...completely ignore me as I'm completely wrong 🥴
I paid a living fortune for it. Here in SA it should be sold as a tradeable commodity it's so expensive.

Greg Nel

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the swift and useful replies. Gratefully received and it looks great and natural in my tanks. I just didn't want to take a chance without expert opinion.