Conversion kits

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Anyone know where or from who I can buy a 2.5 gallon conversion from? I don't have the tools or space to cut my own and I'd like a nice professional look.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anyone know where or from who I can buy a 2.5 gallon conversion from? I don't have the tools or space to cut my own and I'd like a nice professional look.
AFAIK no one produces conversion kits. One primary reason for this is the black "molding" around fish tanks is not a standard measurement, so the vendor would have to rely on the consumer to provide extremely accurate measurements in order to be satisfied. In practice, this approach has failed as a product because of the consumer.

Your best bet is to call a plastic company with dimensions and assemble it yourself.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
AFAIK no one produces conversion kits. One primary reason for this is the black "molding" around fish tanks is not a standard measurement, so the vendor would have to rely on the consumer to provide extremely accurate measurements in order to be satisfied. In practice, this approach has failed as a product because of the consumer.

Your best bet is to call a plastic company with dimensions and assemble it yourself.
I swear I saw a site that sold them recently. To tap plastics I go.
Edit: I found a board member that makes kits to your dimensions. TCA Exotics.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I swear I saw a site that sold them recently. To tap plastics I go.
Edit: I found a board member that makes kits to your dimensions. TCA Exotics.
Appreciate the info, didn't know he was doing that. Jamie's used to make them years ago, but stopped for the reason I mentioned.

I hope you measure well!

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There are companies that produce vertical conversion kits for converting Aqueon tanks, made with the dart frog and gecko hobbies in mind. NEHERP, Frogsnthings, Frogcube are a few off the top of my head. However, no one regularly produces kits for 2.5 gallons, as few things can live in such a small enclosure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I remember this guy, I posted in this forum about his product while it was still beta http://arachnoboards.com/threads/3d-printing-tank-conversion-clever.280307/

However, is he still in business? I've emailed him a few times and received ZERO response. It was surprising because I wanted to buy one or two.

His website is closed for shopping, said he be back up in Sept, it's now October, no update. His FB page is barely alive.

So I'm not too enthused, and wouldn't recommend him. Great idea, but poor execution and crappy communication on the business side of things

Last edited:

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've never conversed with the guy personally, but he had a few threads about his kits going over at Dendroboard for a while. His website was still open this past summer, as I was considering it as an option...but ultimately decided to go with NEHERP's kits when I converted three 20H tanks back in July or August.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never conversed with the guy personally, but he had a few threads about his kits going over at Dendroboard for a while. His website was still open this past summer, as I was considering it as an option...but ultimately decided to go with NEHERP's kits when I converted three 20H tanks back in July or August.
Yeah he did. I was VERY interested in his product. I'll have to ask on DB to see if people know if he bailed or not. I've never conversed w/him either :rolleyes: I read all the input he received, then he disappears. Who knows. I hope he doesn't go out of business. As I'm going to get darts for the first time.

Then again, maybe I'll go NEHERP. Never dealt w/them, think they offer a great amount of info and products. What do you think of them and the conversion kit?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've bought stuff from NEHERP somewhat regularly over the past several years, they're pretty good with customer service. The conversion kits worked fine, though as you mentioned the black frames on the aqueon aquariums can vary a little. So I had to briefly sand the inner lip of the frame with fine grit sandpaper on one of the tanks, to get the glass panels to fit in well. Those tanks were simple vivs I set up for a few of my wife's geckos, and I got the tanks during one of Petco's $1-per-gallon sales (which is also going on right now until 11-5, in case anyone is interested.)

I was reluctant to go with Frogcube's kits, mainly because there seems to have been some issues with keeping the 3-D printed plastic hinges connected to the glass door. Different 2-sided tapes and various adhesives had been tried and shipped with it at different times, he was using/supplying super glue when I last looked into it. So I went with the more old-school 'tried and true' style of conversion kit, lol.