containers of pet dirt

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ever feel like you are just caring for dirt?

all but one of my Ts are burrowed and/or hidden..in such a way that I cant see them at all..I think they stick the substrate along the side of their burrows just so I can't get a glimpse at them.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There was a thread with some Really nice pictures of premade burrows to help keep then burrowing T's visiable. I forget the darned name of it though.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
oh well i made them some

I used a pencil to push it all the way down the corner of their containers..and made sure all the substrate was cleared off the side so i could see in..and they moved right in...and began remodeling..sticking dirt all over my field of view...lol..I am lucky now if I see a toe.
I know its part of T ownership...but I felt like whining. :p

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Feeding dirt?

I do sometimes. My Rio Gold stays so far inside her hide
and she is building a wall that seems to be larger every
day! I see her for a few seconds, when i feed her and that's
all:(

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used a pice of clear tube to make a burrow and put loose substrat in it.
The other end was placed right up against the glass.
I covered the "window in" with something and let Willy excavate the tube out. now we have a window right into his burrow anytime.
I also have a vent hole there which the twins have gotten in the habbit of putting small crickets into.
Willy seems to think this is a fast food window.
So now we don't bother to cover it anymore.
When the twins get close he runs up to the window and waits....

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
There was a thread with some Really nice pictures of premade burrows to help keep then burrowing T's visiable. I forget the darned name of it though.
I'd really like to know how Joy made her T. blondi mansion....now that's one awesome setup! Joy? Care to share? :?

Leanne

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by LPacker79
I'd really like to know how Joy made her T. blondi mansion....now that's one awesome setup! Joy? Care to share? :?

Leanne
Oooooo. Is there a picture of it someplace?

I'd like to see. :)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you. I hope she doesn't mind me admiring them. :)

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OOooooooooooooooh I see how it was done!

Hehehe, I have those lights around the top of all my downstairs rooms.. :)

Really Nice setup.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This would be why I don't like obligate burrowers (don't own a one, don't plan on ever owning one). My juvenile brachyies spend enough time under ground as far as I'm concerned. I've never understood why some people go gaga for them but I guess that's a case of different strokes.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: oh well i made them some

Originally posted by rapunzel
I used a pencil to push it all the way down the corner of their containers..and made sure all the substrate was cleared off the side so i could see in..and they moved right in...and began remodeling..sticking dirt all over my field of view...lol..I am lucky now if I see a toe.
I know its part of T ownership...but I felt like whining. :p
a partial point to the tunnel is to get out the sunlight; put some black cloth around it, remove it when you want to see

or alternativly, use your heat mat to control where they live at; a spider will usually cling to it

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I love my tarantulas so I don't really care if they burrow and stay under as long as they are happy. Actually, I sometimes enjoy just sitting there watching my tarantulas rearranging their places. Ok, feeding time.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like to let burrows burrow as well.
But I also have two five year olds that want to See their babies.
So I try and think up ways to make both happy.

:)

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy

I also have a vent hole there which the twins have gotten in the habbit of putting small crickets into.
Willy seems to think this is a fast food window.
So now we don't bother to cover it anymore.
When the twins get close he runs up to the window and waits....
Awesome story Nixy! Those L. Parahybana's are great spiders......thanks for sharing the story, very entertaining!:D

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also love watching burrowers burrow, I love the way they carry around the tufts of substrate between their pedipalps. Reminds me of moving boxes around. I had to have at least one King Baboon since they are so beautiful and luckily s/he has made her burrow along the side of the glass so I can always see what she's doing.