Container size for a Cyriocosmus sling???

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering, what kinds of containers you guys use for the first 6 months to year of a Cyriocosmus's life? I know that they are tiny little guys, but these will be my first ever slings. I just picked up (3) C. ritae slings (4th Instar) and am a little apprehensive, about the differences between them, and my already juvenile or adult spiders...

I know humidity is a must, the tiny-est pinhead crickets possible, moist substrate, but how big on the containers, and/or which containers to use is my main question???

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What should I put them in.

For my very small slings I use 20dram vials and for larger and faster growers I use 50dram vials. Kevin

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering, what kinds of containers you guys use for the first 6 months to year of a Cyriocosmus's life? I know that they are tiny little guys, but these will be my first ever slings. I just picked up (3) C. ritae slings (4th Instar) and am a little apprehensive, about the differences between them, and my already juvenile or adult spiders...

I know humidity is a must, the tiny-est pinhead crickets possible, moist substrate, but how big on the containers, and/or which containers to use is my main question???
Well, I hatched sac of perezmilesi late last year, and have been keeping them in these tiny 1oz restauraunt potion cups a friend in the restauraunt buisness got for me. I'm sure you can find em at a restauraunt supply store. They're about 2" across at the top, and about 1.5" at the bottom.

I'm using them mostly out of convenince, but if you only have a few, I'd put them in nice vials instead, so you can see 'em through the sides.

In my experience, yes, keep 'em on the humid side, but don't overdo it. You can let the sub dry some between moistenings.

Pinheads or even small crickets aren't necessary; if you can't find 'em, don't worry! I use about four (or less) regular size crickets to feed ~67 of em. I just bought a pair of tiny sewing scissors, and cut em up into bite-size bits. Not everybody's cup of tea, but if you've got the stomach for it, you can avoid the pinheads/fruitflies! Pictured is a sling eating a regular cricket leg. So next time you are feeding your juvies, just pluck off three cricket legs before feeding, and there you go!

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Well, I hatched sac of perezmilesi late last year, and have been keeping them in these tiny 1oz restauraunt potion cups a friend in the restauraunt buisness got for me. I'm sure you can find em at a restauraunt supply store. They're about 2" across at the top, and about 1.5" at the bottom.

I'm using them mostly out of convenince, but if you only have a few, I'd put them in nice vials instead, so you can see 'em through the sides.

In my experience, yes, keep 'em on the humid side, but don't overdo it. You can let the sub dry some between moistenings.

Pinheads or even small crickets aren't necessary; if you can't find 'em, don't worry! I use about four (or less) regular size crickets to feed ~67 of em. I just bought a pair of tiny sewing scissors, and cut em up into bite-size bits. Not everybody's cup of tea, but if you've got the stomach for it, you can avoid the pinheads/fruitflies! Pictured is a sling eating a regular cricket leg. So next time you are feeding your juvies, just pluck off three cricket legs before feeding, and there you go!
WOW Hobo, thank you VERY MUCH! This is terrific info, and the pic of the sling with a "drumstick" says a LOT! I'll admit, I'm jealous of your breeding project. It will be some time before my C. ritae are able to breed, but I definitely now have some goals to shoot for! Your Cyriocosmus slings are (as my 18 yr. old son would say,) "The OWNZ!" :worship: