consistency & the quest for docile Ts

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Consistancy has nothing to do with it.

It isn't how often you pick a T up but rather HOW you pick it up. They don't seem to become any more or less inclined to react negatively regardless of the frequency of handling as they just don't seem to remember the experience. Sure even a really docile pet rock T can become startled but that goes back to the method of handling in that they do it because of being startled not because they change their mind and decide to become touchy all of a sudden. Under the same concept it isn't as if handling say an H maculata all the time is going to make it somehow less prone to bolt at high speed. To avoid being bitten is simple just get the T in walking mode before picking it up rather than just grabbing it and the vast majority of the time you will be fine regardless of species even. As I have explained in the past there is no magic secret to it just understanding why the animal behaves as it does and not coming across as a threat to it.

Phil

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does anybody use the pin-down method for handling? I actually pulled this off for the first time last night with my rosie, and it seemed relatively calm the whole time.

I would think removing them from the enclosure in this manner - then letting them walk around outside for a second to calm down, would be an easier way to get them out of the tank.

I normally just use the "nudge onto hand" method, and that has worked great for me so far. My A. Avic merely has to be barely touched anywhere on it's body, and it crawls right up and out the top of his rubbermaid.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Originally posted by abstract
Does anybody use the pin-down method for handling? I actually pulled this off for the first time last night with my rosie, and it seemed relatively calm the whole time.
I would think removing them from the enclosure in this manner - then letting them walk around outside for a second to calm down, would be an easier way to get them out of the tank.
I know the method, but have yet to use it. I'd use that only when absolutely necessary - for checking the ventral area for trauma, for instance. I don't think it's a good idea to subject a T to such an agressive tactic for simple handling - regardless of waiting for the guy to cool off after pinning it. Do it that way and I think you'll increase your risk for a bite substantially.

D

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, i read the bite reports and actually none of them are HALF as bad as dragonfly's reports of 'acid-like venom'...(grin) lol.

say, when you guys use a paintbrush, are you using the soft brush part or the other end, the harder tip?

just curious. i use a lacquered chopstick at present but will HAPPILY invest in a paintbrush if this seems to work better. :)

so, basically, the best thing i can do is see what mood they're in and go from there.

if they just act kinda like, 'noo...i don't WANT to leave my secure and safe house!' does that mean they don't want to be held or what? that's what my male curly does and he's very, very sweet.

none have done any defensive postures at me and mostly they don't jerk around quickly, they move rather slowly...at that point i feel VERY secure trying to hold them.

suggestions?

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
either end works fine....

I have used both ends of a paintbrush with pretty much the same results either way. In truth I use my long tweezers more than anything else because 1 they are right there and handy 2 the less surface area the object has the less it seems to get a run like hell reaction from the T and instead gets a what the heck is that reaction. Either way once they attack it a few times and start to walk you're good to go. Just walk em over the edge and have your hand waiting and they don't seem to view you as a threat that way and instead view you as more terrain to walk over.

And on the restrained hold ... It freaks them out at 1st and I wouldn't recommend it on anything that isn't really docile in the 1st place which in truth means it really isn't needed at all. It is however handy for viewing the underside as once you get them lifted they basically freeze. Some individuals will squirm the whole time though.

Phil

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
okay great. :) sounds good.

heh. i for one will NEVER attempt to pin a T. i know that if i were a T i probably would be highly uncomfortable with something large coming down over me and THEN making it worse by grabbing me so i wasn't able to move much.

has anyone seen that incredible picture of the person holding her exceedingly calm PZB on its BACK? it's just lying there in her hand. amazing. but um, not something i'll be attempting anytime soon. lol. i do wonder how she did that though...can't remember who exactly it was. her icon is her face holding a T in each hand though if that helps.

are there any specific behaviors to really look for? that's part of the reason i think i'm nervous again...with snakes, they are SOOoOOo easy to read. however, with Ts, i have more problems.

like...the psycho curly hair at the pet store. :(

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
actually...

Rolling them onto their backs isn't that tough either. Just a modified version of the restrained grab where you cup your hand over them and roll them over. Once like this many will just lay there kinda zoned out. I've seen Swifty even do it on Xenesthis and some other species that don't usually handle well at all. And have done it to many species myself as well. It's all in the touch really.

Phil

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh wow, that's really interesting. :) cool! dunno if i'll ever try it, but very, very fascinating. i wonder if it's a defensive mechanism that they get sort of zoned.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf

- how often do you feel it is necessary to hold to help maintain this docility?
<<every few days for me. it depends on how the given t is behaving>>
- do you feel this trait can change if not handled enough?
<<myself? yes. I came back from Carlsbad, and my pulchra is a bit more nervous>>
- do you agree that females are typically more mellow than males in the more docile T varieties?
<<it depends. my aureostriata male is very sweet. but, I have no female to compare him to>>

now, here's my story. (long sigh)

so...basically i have two problems:

1. ever since my G. rosea was surprised (i think) and gently chastised me with a front-leg thwap, i have not been able to pick her up, paranoia ruling my entire body.
<<wariness is a good trait to have, actually. try checking the body posture, as well as (as Rosemary Kraft says), the bristles on the front palps. they'll have hands off days, just like my snakes do.>>

2. i am naturally more concerned with other docile Ts being actually demon-spawns in disguise merely awaiting another foolish and innocent victim. :/
<<which, they can be>>

(sigh) what i'm looking for here is suggestions so that i avoid the HORRIBLE prospect of sinking slowly back into my state of perpetual arachnophobia.
<<I would suggest spending time with them on a daily basis. this way, you can have a good gauge of their "normal" behavior. if they become pissy, you'll see it, right away>>
email me, if you want or, send me a pm.
Peace,
Gillian
)o(

help?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf

has anyone seen that incredible picture of the person holding her exceedingly calm PZB on its BACK? it's just lying there in her hand. amazing. can't remember who exactly it was. her icon is her face holding a T in each hand though if that helps.

:(
that would be Joy. :)
Peace,
Gillian)o(

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have been practicing my pin hold on my rosie - and honestly I think it seems to like it - totally chills out, and after being set down, she seems very exploratory. She is slow though - I don't think I'd want to try on my somewhat psychotic seemani.

I use the heck out of my paintbrush also - for all of my spiders, a quick brush w/the bristle side to the back abdomen will get them moving....