Confused Red Ear Turtles ?

Violet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I’ve been keeping Red Ear Turtles (Sliders) for several years now, I currently have two that I thought were both females.

However, afew days ago I saw some courtship behaviour that has left me a wee bit confused. The slightly smaller of the two (who does kind of have the body shape of a male but lacks the long claws and tail) was swiming face to face with the confirmed female, brushing and shaking his (?) front legs and claws against her. She (the larger, confirmed female) seemed unreceptive and began biting at the male (?).

So what do I have here? Androgynous male? Experimental female? :?

I'll try and get some photos soon as possible.

Edit: I should note, I received both of them as adults around 10 years ago. Not sure of thier actual age but they are certainly not Juveniles.

Last edited:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I’ve been keeping Red Ear Turtles (Sliders) for several years now, I currently have two that I thought were both females.

However, afew days ago I saw some courtship behaviour that has left me a wee bit confused. The slightly smaller of the two (who does kind of have the body shape of a male but lacks the long claws and tail) was swiming face to face with the confirmed female, brushing and shaking his (?) front legs and claws against her. She (the larger, confirmed female) seemed unreceptive and began biting at the male (?).

So what do I have here? Androgynous male? Experimental female? :?

I'll try and get some photos soon as possible.

Edit: I should note, I received both of them as adults around 10 years ago. Not sure of thier actual age but they are certainly not Juveniles.
If you received them as adults, it is possible that either 1. the male was kept in inadequate conditions and because of this, didn't develop his claws. or 2. it is a territorial behavior that looks similar to courtship. This would be so if they were indeed both female.