Concerned T Owner

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
So I recently rehoused my B. Albopilosum and this is the first time he has had anything but woodchips. I put Eco Earth Coco Fiber in. I put a hide in the corner of his tank and covered the back with substrate, making a cave, because i thought he would just walk under it like he did in his last terrarium. At first he did, then i noticed he was digging out the area behind the hide. He dug out a hole from the back so that he could climb out the top. I figured he just wanted a back door. Then he dug strait down from the back to the bottom of the tank. Still, i figured this was normal burrowing stuff, but now he has gone super excavation mode and has made a tunnel along the side of the very bottom of the tank under his hide. Im worried its going to collapse on him. Ive seen burrowing spiders (Like the Cobalt Blue) put up web but hes just a regular terrestrial and i dont think he knows how to do that...

Do you guys think he will be okay to burrow like this?

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
w'sup wit da wood chips?

M'h'RAM, I'd add a couple more inches of sub to decrease the height between the sub and top.......just in case- to cushion for any possible falls.....and get those dang woodchips outta there! :mad:. Just kidding on the mad face. Heh heh. Btw, Welcome aboard!! :)

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My bad :?.......or was it yours for posting the wrong photo first. I thought you'd put a light layer of sub under the chips. Turns out it appears you have quite a bulldozer, there. :clap: {D. Thanks for posting.

Terry

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
Yeah, there are no woodchips in the new terrarium. Just cocofiber. The first picture is his old Kritter Keeper. He is much happier now.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He already said he'd already removed them..

Is the sponge still in his waterdish? If so, I'd remove it. A tarantula have no need for it, it will be a bacteria breeding ground. Place a small rock in there instead to keep prey from drowning.

As far as the burrowing, He will figure it out himself. THey can usually do pretty much anything themselves, and he will be just fine. I dare say, perhaps better, without fuzzing..

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
M'h'RAM, I'd add a couple more inches of sub to decrease the height between the sub and top.......just in case- to cushion for any possible falls.....
This should be reiterated.

Other than that, the burrowing will be fine. Even if it does collapse, it'll dig its way back out and redecorate again.

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
Yep, I switched the sponge for river stones and they look better and I dont have to worry about bacteria. Learned that from the boards, its such a great place for me since this is my first T.

And thanks for the help guys, im really just an overprotective parent to my little guy and i want to make sure hes okay every time he does something new haha... My mind is put to ease that he will be okay now.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aww congrats on your new fuzzy baby :)

He'll be out in the open more often once he gets settled in.
Just remember that they feel vibrations, and sometimes that's why they hide.
I realized that with my first G. rosea since I had her tank on a counter relatively close to the back door. Everytime I would open and close the door she would hide :(
I felt so bad for stressing her out those few days, and she was much happier once I relocated her tank to a more quiet, and peaceful place, and she's out in the open most of the time :)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In summary, for future reference.

1. Never use wood chips
2. Never use a sponge
3. Substrate should be high enough up so the Ts back legs are touching the ground if it's front legs are touching the top.

I know you corrected these problems, so just remember them when you purchase more Ts. And trust me, you will ;)

As for burrowing, B. albopilosum are bulldozers. Nothing to worry about, it knows what it's doing. I would make sure it's hide or water dish isn't directly on top of the burrow though.

Welcome aboard :D

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just wanted to say that's impressive :eek:

And yes, even regular terrestrials can web :)

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good thing that she can burrow, can never have to much substrate:) but it looks like that setup has very poor ventilation on the sides.

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
B. Albos dont need high humidity so the mesh lid on the tank seems to work good. I dont get condensation or anything.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
B. Albos dont need high humidity so the mesh lid on the tank seems to work good. I dont get condensation or anything.
They are hardy but they should still have 70-80% as they have in their natural habitat, and even if it is a specie from a dry habitat they should still have good ventilation. If the only ventilation in the tank is the top the air wont cirkulate.

Steff

Arachnopeon
My B.Albo is Tiny. Only about 4cm. She's my 1st T. Rasta is quite the Dozer. I've only had her 3 weeks. saw her on day one. ever since only ate 1 cricket. just digs all friggen day. A T is like a plant, you water it and it grows. But staring into a tank and only seeing a plant, a dish of water and a clay pot has never been SOOO FRIGGEN FASCINATING!! :) I want another one :D