Concern over new arrival

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Got an A. metallica today. When she was climbing the sides of the enclosure I noticed her mouth parts didn't exactly look normal. Also I noticed clear fluid sort of oozing down from the mouth area, that was right after she got a drink so it may have been water? Looks like half a fang us missing also. So I decided to post to see what you guys think of it 20160921_215323.jpg 20160921_215229.jpg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
oh man, you have the worst luck with new arrivals..:(

looks like the fang is chipped from those pics. i think it was just water, never heard of a T leaking from its fangs. shouldnt be a issue overall as it has one functional fang left. feed it a lot of maimed prey items to get it to its next molt quickly.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
oh man, you have the worst luck with new arrivals..:(

looks like the fang is chipped from those pics. i think it was just water, never heard of a T leaking from its fangs. shouldnt be a issue overall as it has one functional fang left. feed it a lot of maimed prey items to get it to its next molt quickly.
The pictures do not do it justice. The mouth area as a whole look just plain disturbing and it gave me that sort of grossed out feeling that you get after watching a really disturbing movie.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The pictures do not do it justice. The mouth area as a whole look just plain disturbing and it gave me that sort of grossed out feeling that you get after watching a really disturbing movie.
it does look grotesque.. better pics are probably needed here.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
it does look grotesque.. better pics are probably needed here.
tomorrow in better light i'll see if I can get a marco shot of just the fangs. Also she is not able to climb the platsic very well, probably need to rehouse anyway. Te enclosure is more of a temporary one.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
When was her last molt?

Usually Ts dont have issues climbing anything especially aboreals, unless its around molting time.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
For clarification purposes: the fangs and area surrounding look alot better now, I think the wetness around her mouth from drinking was deceiving me, making it look worse than it is. The fang is still the same I am if she could possibly molt ahead of schedule to fix it, it might not be severe enough.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
If she cant readily climb the enclosure walls she is close to a molt I don't think I would move her till a week or so after the molt. Avics don't' mind tight quarters.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
If she cant readily climb the enclosure walls she is close to a molt I don't think I would move her till a week or so after the molt. Avics don't' mind tight quarters.
That's good to know, I have not observed the difficulty climbing before a molt before.
Only with MMs

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
That's good to know, I have not observed the difficulty climbing before a molt before.
Only with MMs
As the new exo/foot pads form under the old ones they loose there grip, so smooth surfaces are tough to stick to. Their tarsal claws still grip natural uneven surfaces.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've observed some of my CB Avics with a mouth area that wet. At first glance it does appear as if something is not "normal", but there was nothing wrong with them. If yours is a WC specimen, I'd monitor that region over time to make sure everything appears to be normal looking. There are people selling A. metallica slings, so I hope it's not WC.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I've observed some of my CB Avics with a mouth area that wet. At first glance it does appear as if something is not "normal", but there was nothing wrong with them. If yours is a WC specimen, I'd monitor that region over time to make sure everything appears to be normal looking. There are people selling A. metallica slings, so I hope it's not WC.
It is indeed Wild caught, the seller held onto her for a couple months to check for parasites.