Communal species?

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did look in some of the stickies but didn't find any info on this. I know that P. imperator can be kept communally as I used to have a small group a few years back. But other than those guys what other species are able to be kept in a colony?

deadly_elegance

Arachnopeon
in my limited experience other than P.imperator, most heterometrus species are communal, H.spinifers are very communal, i have seen mother coexist and even took care af her slings until they reach adulthood, H.fulvipes and H.longimanus show the same behavior

most centruroides species are communal also but only as adults because I often experience cannibalism among siblings specially when molting.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are a lot of species that are communal in adulthood. Most will on occasion eat each other as young. I'm going to list only the genus to keep it short.
Centruroides
Grosphus
Rhopalurus
Tityus
Lychas
Isometrus
Hottentotta
Vaejovis
Heterometrus
Pandinus

These are the ones I can think of that can be found in the US, not sure about Canada. There will be some species in each genus that are more or less communal but this should be a good starting point.

John

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome, thanks so much. What would be recommended as a good communal species that are low on the MS list, I take every precaution with all my creatures however I do have children and want to make sure that if an error ever is made that their safety comes first.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are lucky there are still some Lychas infuscatus and Liocheles australiensis floating around that I've imported. Both species are social and their venom is not that potent. Lychas infuscatus is a Buthidae, but I've been stung before by one of the adults and it was quite mild.

Certain people may still have the original imports from me, but I also bred them extensively and many bought the second generation of both species off of me as well.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks AC of course you would have had social setups of these. Do you know where abouts you spread them around? Any to SK?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most stayed in Alberta, but a few were sent to Ontario and BC.

This was last year though. I sold off the last ones in September 2009.

myczz

Arachnopeon
I need help , can someone tell me why my centruroides does not go out of her hide and she looks weak even at night btw she is pregnant. tnx in advance

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You might want to post your question in a thread of your own Myczz, that way you will probably receive greater response.