Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Re: By the way.......

Originally posted by xanadu1015
Holly,

How tall was the tank you had them in?

Laura
24" wide x 21" high x 12" wide. I'm fairly certain it's a 20 gallon, but not a 'long'.
Slings at this point are approx 2-3" LS.

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since my dad wants to get a p. regalis, I guess I'm going to have to get a tall tank. Is 21'' the height the tank needs to be for these guys?

Laura

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
7x7x14 high is more than enough for an adult regalis in my experience.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, it's more than adequate for an adult. I have a couple of my adult pokies in containers that are 12-15" high, and they are doing fine like that.
I have an adult male/female pair sharing a 2 gallon 'pickle jar' setup. (P fasciata)

spyder7697

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Damn now that was a whole lot of crap that i could have lived without the purpose of the thread initialy and I.S. correct me if I'm wrong here, was that you were trying something new for you knowing the risks involved and having knowledge of past attempts failing. I personally commend you on your attempt and I stand firmly on the side that it was NOT waste of pokes. I hope that the remaining 3 little guys/gals do well and I also hope that you may again try a similar setup using the knowledge that you have gained.
as far as the arguement made by RB acusing that the deaths were due entirely to the comunal setup. well damn i guess i better prepare to die purely because i live in an apartment complex. crap happens and although its a shame it was in no way due to one thing. I'm sorry these spiders had to die as you are as I'm sure anyone who participates on this site is.
Immortal sorry for the losses. PLEASE keep the updates coming and good luck. Props to you for sticking to what you set out to accomplish. I look forward to your next attempt.
Ski-Ya Laterz
Russ

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey there have been plenty of succesful pokie setups !!!

but avicularia i strongly disagree with if u don't have a huge tank!

so ur right in some aspect but still

mike

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Longbord1

hey there have been plenty of succesful pokie setups !!!
how many with adult specimens? And how many of those are "long term" communal set ups? Spiderlings and juveniles are usually no problem and a lot of people who have tried this, but with adults...

all the best,
Martin

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very true i guess pictures don't tell all. when i see most sommunal pics i usually think they are adults not juvies. thats the problem with pics there is rarley a scale. also don't u think pokies live better then avics in communal setups?

i also do not agree with them but i still don't think that they just don't work. i know of a couple of adult setups. the thing i disagree with is that if u want a communal setup you need optumum space becuase they have their own territories. tarantulas are not the same as scorpions except for having 8 legs.

mike

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.
how many with adult specimens? And how many of those are "long term" communal set ups? Spiderlings and juveniles are usually no problem and a lot of people who have tried this, but with adults...

all the best,
Martin

HAS anyone tried this with adults?

-Kelly

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was about to say metallica has done it before he even has posted pics. amd i right?? or am i confused? i know u did it with a lot of babies and juviniles

mike=D

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
babies juvs and adult yes you are right. just do a search, i wrote plenty on it!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There was an article in the ATS forum a few years back describing one person's longterm experience with a communal setup - I'd have to look through all my backissues to find the species of Poecilotheria and don't have the time for that right now. They did fine as slings/juvies but the adult females literally carved out their individual space. Maybe someone with more time and the backissues can give the exact details.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Eddy,

Originally posted by metallica

i know one who has.....
I know yours and few others, but most posts about "successful communal set ups" are more like this: "Since two month I keep three slings of Holothele incei / Avicularia avicularia / Hysterocrates sp. / Poecilotheria regalis / P. fasciata / etc. together, it's a very successful project!" ...doesn't surprise me, because from a lot of species (almost all??) you can keep spiderlings for a longer period (the first instars) together without big losses. Theses people with these "short term spiderling communal tanks" should wait till they mature and report again two or three years after they have matured! ...like I told above I know that there are successful cases, but I know more cases with losses (explained and unexplained ones). That's why I have asked: "how many with adult specimens? And how many of those are "long term" communal set ups? So, does anybody know about more long term ones with adult specimens? I want to learn more about it!

BTW, interesting reading on this topic:
  • STRIFFLER, B. (2002): Poecilotheria subfusca POCOCK, 1895: Gemeinschaftshaltung und Nachzucht. Reptilia 7(6): 36-41.
all the best,
Martin

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey

There was an article in the ATS forum a few years back describing one person's longterm experience with a communal setup - I'd have to look through all my backissues to find the species of Poecilotheria and don't have the time for that right now. They did fine as slings/juvies but the adult females literally carved out their individual space. Maybe someone with more time and the backissues can give the exact details.
thanks for that hint, I would be interested in this article, the reference or even better a copy! =:)

all the best,
Martin

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
UPDATE March 3

While doing maintenence yesterday, I was very surprised to count a total of FOUR P regalis left...not three, as I originally thought. One of them has made her home in a wedge of cork bark, and completely blends in. If she hadn't moved, I wouldn't have seen her. So I have 4 out of the original 8.
To recap...I am guessing that 2 of them might have been cannabalized (no proof) and I lost 2 of them to bad molts.

spyder7697

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
glad to hear that you found another hiding thats great news!!!=D !!!I'm happy for you! Congrats and best of luck I'll keep my fingers crossed...MAYBE those other 2 that were supposedly canabalized will show up as hiders as well but good luck either way.Props to you on taking on the communal setup challenge no matter what anybody says. my avic communal is still at 21 but I just realized that I now have a total of 4 count-em 4 mature males so I may be in for some trouble do to breeding competition?!?!?!!!
Ski-Ya Laterz
Russ

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey Metallica,

I just did a search on your name regarding communal and community tank.

Only a few things popped up, but not with plenty of writing.

did you write it somewhere else?

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BAH! Was about to post this garble in the communal pokie thread, but it was shut... so I'll post it here :)

kellygirl said:
HAS anyone tried this with adults?

-Kelly
Yes

I have a communal set-up of 3 sub-adult P. formosa. They're all around the 5-6" mark and have been in together since birth. When I got them at around 3", I carefully set up their tank with billions of hiding places, so each spider at at least 2 places it could hide. I also used to chuck a handful of crickets in every few days (and ended up trillions of baby cricks, which had hatched from eggs laid in there, lol).

However, since day 1, my three big girls have all cohabited in a small hollow piece of cork bark. They always come out at night and can be seen wandering the tank when the lights are low, but they always return to the hollow bark in the morning. And I've never seen any aggression from them. They split up briefly for a 2 week period during the winter and hid out in their own hidey holes, but soon reassembled in their cork bark a few weeks later. I've just taken this picture of them all snuggled up in their log;

The same goes for the 3 P. formosa slings I am rearing up to take the places of these three. I only have half shares in my communal set-up, so I have to split them after their next moult. I will keep one, send one to co-owner, and sell one. I hate to split them, but I don't really have much of a choice. Besides, it'll be nice to see my baby formosa's grow from slings to adults. They are already showing signs of sociality. They are always grouped together in their tank, no matter how many hiding places I give them. For the purpose of this thread, I leant over and took a photo of them in their tank as they are right now... I thought just two were sat together, but it turns out that all 3 of them are hanging out together;

Quite remarkable behaviour, I think :)