Communal invert tank

Abbio

Arachnopeon
Hello @Creobroter and @Crowbawt , communal enclosures are in interest of mine and I was wondering how yours are coming along? I have had local Harvestman species appear in mine from unsterilized substrate, and I'm finding they add a lot of interesting visual and behavior appeal. I'd be interested in hearing about any issues/problems/unexpected delights in your communal enclosures (here or in a direct message). Thanks!
Yes this is also what i was after from this thread!

Pocket dragon

Arachnopeon
Just a quick update after another month of my fun experiment...

I think I need to do something about the beetles. I have Harlequin Flower Beetles (Gymnetis caseyi) and they are reproducing fast. I like that they're so easy-- they're awesome beetles, and play well with others.

However, I had to do some maintenance which pulled up a chunk of substrate and I was a bit alarmed by just how many grubs are down there burrowing around. Dozens at the very least least. They aren't carnivorous or cannibalistic, but they move around a lot. My instincts tell me this is too much aggressive activity under the sub for baby millipedes or molting millipedes.

I've pulled all the adults and set them up in a generous enclosure of their own, and whenever a grub gets close enough to the surface I pick it out. It will take a while to reduce the population overall, but I think it's best. Hopefully I'll get better at sexing these beetles so that i can put back in only males in the future, and do the breeding in the separate dedicated enclosure.

Live and learn!

Do you have any more updates on how these projects turned out?

mossloft

Arachnosquire
Try setting up for some vertically inclined specimens. Small amblypygi wouldn't bother them. Maybe some small mantid species, jumping spiders, an ogre faced spider or Centruroides gracilis to take care of any flies that are attracted to the fruits and veggies you feed your millies. That way you have a little food web for pests and the like. I've never done something like this but I have been thinking about it. How about some Blaptica gigantea?
I've never thought of using arachnids and such in a communal tank- it would definitely make for an interesting setup!

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Where did you acquire these beetles?

Just a quick update after another month of my fun experiment...

I think I need to do something about the beetles. I have Harlequin Flower Beetles (Gymnetis caseyi) and they are reproducing fast. I like that they're so easy-- they're awesome beetles, and play well with others.

However, I had to do some maintenance which pulled up a chunk of substrate and I was a bit alarmed by just how many grubs are down there burrowing around. Dozens at the very least least. They aren't carnivorous or cannibalistic, but they move around a lot. My instincts tell me this is too much aggressive activity under the sub for baby millipedes or molting millipedes.

I've pulled all the adults and set them up in a generous enclosure of their own, and whenever a grub gets close enough to the surface I pick it out. It will take a while to reduce the population overall, but I think it's best. Hopefully I'll get better at sexing these beetles so that i can put back in only males in the future, and do the breeding in the separate dedicated enclosure.

Live and learn!

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I've never thought of using arachnids and such in a communal tank- it would definitely make for an interesting setup!
I like to add ornate harvestmen (Vonones ornata) to all my tanks, they're like a clean up crew and help control the little pests.