Colorado Butterfly Pavillion

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More on the bug community here...

Me, Kenny and John (Kug) went down to the B.P. to see about some volunteer time and so on. Of course I had to visit my sweetie, Scary, a 9"+ L. parahybana...

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's me holding her...

you may not be able to see at this angle but that back leg is planted firmly on the side of my right hand with some reach to spare. She's so awesome. :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's John (Kug) and Kenny next to the Tarantula Towers display...

Oh yeah, John deserves credit for helping ID 2 scorpion species for the Pavillion today too. :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And finally, me and Kenny...

Oh, there's a lot more to see at the Pavillion but we spend most of our time either in the main invert display area or in the rearing room where they keep thousands more T's, scorps, pedes, true spiders and insects. The staff there are super frikkin' cool too!

Hope you enjoy the pics. :)

Atrax

Attachments

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It sure would be cool to work there, instead of pulling moldy tomatoes off of the supermarket shelf.

:(

BTW, that's one big spider.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

man i wish we had something cool like that here i spend a lot of time there, that is definetly an awesome looking spider talk about huge, do they normaly get that big? if so i may be intrested in one of those from that pic are they normal that calm since i seen you were handling it, geeez thats coool--Jeff

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Props to those pics atrax. Ive always wanted one to be a good indication of the larger species. You also see T.blondi and C.crawshayi smaller variants or in pictures that give no indication of their true size.

-V

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! :)
There is a female T. blondi there that's about the same legspan but much chunkier in the ceph and abdomen. She was hidden behind a big corkbark slab though. I'll try to get a pic of her next time. You can't really get the idea of how big a 9"+T is until it's right in front of you. Now of course L. parahybana is high on the must have list.

I have a juvi L. difficillis but I don't know how they compare in size (as adults) to L. parahybana. Anyone know?

Atrax

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Difficilus hit about 10' max whereas parahybanas is rumored as a 12' max. Both are pretty large, bulky spiders.

-V

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
That's an amazing spider. And an awesome place she lives in. Wish we had something like that around here!

Joy

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! :)
Now I just hope I have a female. I should be able to sex it next molt. (i'll love it either way though)
After that, nothing but pinkies and roaches for the difficilus.

Atrax