Colombian Highlands, South America 1

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I recently spent some time near the Chicamocha Canyon. The elevation was 9000 feet. The area is semi arid with grasses and cacti and some non-endemic Eucalyptus trees. I found a specie of tarantula that was very non-threatening. They never tried flicking hairs and they never threatened to bite or exhibited any threatening posture, even when I dug one out of its burrow and picked it up butterfly.jpg cactus 1.jpg cactus 2.jpg catterpillar.jpg Chicamocha Canyon.jpg cockroach.jpg dragonfly.jpg frog.jpg gentil tarantula.jpg giant grasshopper.jpg . The largest were less than 5 inches in leg span. I used an endoscope to check burrows, but it was hard to get the camera deep enough and in the correct angle to get good video.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The area is semi arid with grasses and cacti and some non-endemic Eucalyptus trees.
Eucs at 9000 feet in an alien country. In their native land, an ecosystem tens of thousands of years old that accommodates those trees. Outside of that environment they are ecological bombs waiting to go off. Exuding toxins that preclude native plants, and fire storms waiting to happen.