Collecting Jumpers

AliciaMarie

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the board and to owning spiders. I have always loved jumpers and I recently adopted a couple of young P. regius. I am sure I will learn a plethora from this forum. I was wondering though, do people collect and breed jumpers like they do tarantulas? Are there many species in the hobby? If so, can anyone direct me to a reputable breeder? Thanks guys and have a great day!!

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the board and to owning spiders. I have always loved jumpers and I recently adopted a couple of young P. regius. I am sure I will learn a plethora from this forum. I was wondering though, do people collect and breed jumpers like they do tarantulas? Are there many species in the hobby? If so, can anyone direct me to a reputable breeder? Thanks guys and have a great day!!
There’s definitely a community for it, they are mostly concentrated on Facebook group “US jumping spider enthusiasts”, they have a tagged post of different keepers.
P. regius, otiosus & audax are the ones commonly kept, but you have people who also have some of the rarer Phidippus species, even Paraphidippus sp. and exotic ones like Hyllus sp.

AliciaMarie

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much BenLeeKing! Unfortunately, I don't use Facebook but I may try to check it out. It blows my mind that with over 600 genera, there isn't more of a variety in the hobby. They are such lovely, intelligent and interesting little things.

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
Thank you so much BenLeeKing! Unfortunately, I don't use Facebook but I may try to check it out. It blows my mind that with over 600 genera, there isn't more of a variety in the hobby. They are such lovely, intelligent and interesting little things.
Probably cause of 2 reasons:
- Relatively short lived compared to tarantulas.
- Many are small sized, so that is why the most commonly kept genera are Phidippus & Hyllus due to their large size.
Imagine having a spider that is already the size of a rice grain as an adult, and you feed it fruit flies. What are you going to feed its slings?