Collecting Insects from the wild.

Bug collecter

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys

I was in my local quarry and there is an abudance of insect and arachnid life in there. But i was wondering how would i go about setting traps for the insects and spiders and do i need permission to do this also?. I will just be examining the insects and then releasing them back where i found them in the wild thanks. :)

David

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was plumbing a house the other day and in the basement, in front of the windo, on a joist was like a million lady bugs. I was thinking sling food but then thought maybe thay where not safe for them to eat or had insecticides. But I was just curios if thay would be safe for slings if thay did not have anay insectisides?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
James M. said:
I was plumbing a house the other day and in the basement, in front of the windo, on a joist was like a million lady bugs. I was thinking sling food but then thought maybe thay where not safe for them to eat or had insecticides. But I was just curios if thay would be safe for slings if thay did not have anay insectisides?
Ladybird beetles, while not exactly harmful, have some noxious defensive chemicals that would make them unsuitable as a feeder insect.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Bug collecter said:
Hi Guys

I was in my local quarry and there is an abudance of insect and arachnid life in there. But i was wondering how would i go about setting traps for the insects and spiders and do i need permission to do this also?. I will just be examining the insects and then releasing them back where i found them in the wild thanks. :)

David
You don't need to set traps. If you do you'll probably catch nothing but ants. What you have to do is go out with a backpack full of vials etc. and stert lifting rocks, or walk through the grass and keep your eyes open 4 everything that moves....

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You might want to take a snake hook as well. It is warming up and chances are around all those rocks snakes will be trying warm up on the worm rocks and such.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi David,

I really don't think you would need permission, unless you are on private property. In that case it is worth asking so you dont get done for trespass. Otherwise no-one is going to mind you collecting bugs and doing whatever you want with them. There are only a few protected bugs in the Uk, and it is unlikely you'll get any of them. Reptiles are another matter, as they are all protected and any collecting is illegal.

Dan.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can make a pitfall trap. You need a tall, smooth sided container, anything from a deli container up to a five gallon bucket. For insects, smaller containers will do. Bury this container in an area that yous suspect gets a lot of bug traffic. Bury it so the lip of the container is flush with the ground. Insects will stumble in and most will be unable to climb out (those with the ability to climb smooth surface will escape, of course). Be sure to check it daily so that it doesn't become a death trap and remove it when you're done.

You can increase you odds of sucess by arranging some sort of cover which is both attractive to insects and keeps rain out. You can also try baiting the trap with some bread or even some horse or cow manure.

Wade

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what a paradise!!

what a paradise to be able to find snakes and tarantulas undenaeth rocks :D

James M. said:
You might want to take a snake hook as well. It is warming up and chances are around all those rocks snakes will be trying warm up on the worm rocks and such.

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
genious_gr said:
Why, aren't there any snakes in sweden??
There are snakes in Sweden, but not to many species (3 I think...?). Take a look at your world-map, and you get the answer to why the reptile diversity is at a minimum in Sweden :)
Regards
Dan J

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
heh, I know there are snakes. The question was ironic. Sweden is that little country near australia right? ;P;P;P

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahahaha

hahahahaha yeah its that small country next to australia :D i wish :( sweden lies in europe close to germany :) but actually ive seen a snakeskin once in about 10 years :/

genious_gr said:
heh, I know there are snakes. The question was ironic.
Sweden is that little country near australia right? ;P;P;P

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you could also try baiting the trap with some 2 week old chicken make sure its nice and ripe you will probably get some cool carrion beetles. Other methods you could get yourself a net and just sweep it through the scrub back and forth checking every few sweeps this method got some pretty high abundance of bugs for me. Or also sitting out at night with a white sheet set up as a screen and a spotlight on it will usually attract quite a few bugs that can then be hand collected right off the screen.
cheers
ORION

Bug collecter

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys for all your replies it is appreciated i'm going to buy a couple of books on insects and spiders of great britain and northern europe so that will help me in my searches. I have two more questions if it is ok?. Am i likely to find any scorpions i am in scotland and i have heard there are scorpions in the uk and are they dangerous at all?. Also while having a look about in the quarry on sunday i saw what looked like white foam on the stem of the plants it was everywhere i looked. My brother says it is called cuckoo spit or frog spit and there are insects inside the foam is he joking with me or is he telling the truth? thanks. :)

David

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there are insects inside, the spit like stuff is actually a secretion produced by larval stage froghoppers a type of true bug or hemipteran.
ORION

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Get a net, a battery powered lantern, and a pillow. Stretch the net between trees or whatever and set the lantern on the opposite side of the net from woods/target area/etc. Lay down on your pillow and watch the deepwoods moths and gnarly beetles come flocking to the light and food source. If you're in the city.... disregard that. :p

We have deepwoods moths out here that are bigger than my 2 hands put together. Now granted I am a petite female, but still, they are huge! Try it.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I live in a med sized city (100,000)....but i found that going to where they are building housing developments on the outskirts has a crazy amount of everything. I go hunting everytime i hear of a new one being built and always comback with a-few king-snakes and a rattler (only allowed to have 2 natives in cali)!