Collecting in Panama?

Lividius

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows what laws there are regarding exporting tarantulas from Panama. I will be going there in a few weeks and if it's not againts any laws it would be nice to take one or two home with me. I have looked but have been unable to find this information anywhere.
Also, does anyone know a good site that lists what species can be found in a certain country or geographical area?

Thanks!

Lividius

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sure there are laws and regulations about exporting, even for personal use, various animals and fauna in Panama. Most countries have them and while some may only require a particular fee and paperwork you must do the diligence to find out.

I would search or possibly contact some government agency there and discuss what their policies and laws are. You wouldn't want to assume anything here and be pulled aside for having a T in your possession; do the research! :)

I've tried searching the web and while it was a semi-futile attempt now since I'm still working I may try to do more later this evening.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Panamanian customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from Panama of items such as firearms and ammunition, cultural property, endangered wildlife species, narcotics, biological material, and food products. It is advisable to contact the Embassy of Panama in Washington or one of Panama's consulates in the United States for specific information regarding customs requirements.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_994.html

Of course this is what I've found for the U.S. so you would need to determine if you have a Swedish consulate to Panama. Based on what I read from our U.S. your going to need to get permission and a permit most likely but again reference your own government for ideas and suggestions.

Cheers,

Lividius

Arachnopeon
BrotherM213: Thanks for the link!

Ictinike: Thank you for answering! I will contact their embassy and try to find out what rules there are. I would like to avoid any type of "Midnight Express" situation, even though that was in Turkey i doubt that the Panama penal system is any better if not worse.
First I'll try to find out if any of the species are listed on CITES and proced from there.

All the best,
Lividius