cold

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is my first post on the board so hello to you all.I recieved my second Tarantula this morning (2" B.smithi).
This arrived by overnight mail.It was the first really cold night (frost) weve had and when i unpacked the spider it wasn't moving.I put it in the heated tank and after about five mins it came round and was ok.
It as been on the side of the tank all day by the heatmat and looks allright.My question is will the cold have done any long term damage to it or should it be ok now.
Thanks
CHID

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My guess is that the cold didn't harm yer spider. It just slowed its bodyfunctions (metabolism) a whole lot, thus making it real slooooow :) Some T's actually get to experience snow and cold, for short periods of time mind you, so they probably handle it pretty ok.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Should be fine. Prolonged (as in weeks to months) will eventually harm/kill a tarantula because they're too cold to properly carry on body functions, and actually freezing the spider will obviously kill it. One night of cold temps, no harm done in almost all liklihood.