Cold tolerant roaches

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I want to establish a feeder roach colony but I don't want to bother heating their enclosure. So what roach is able to reproduce at 20-22 Celsius (68-72 F)?

From what I read Blatta orientalis seem to be a good choice, what do you guys think? Do you have any other recommendation? I don't need them to be fast breeder (i only have 2 Ts and a gecko for now)

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're not worried about the speed of reproduction I would use dubia roaches. Mine were at room temp, about what you mentioned, for quite a long time and they still bred; but it was at a very slow rate. The Blatta orientalis or lateralis would work but are not quite as hardy as the dubia.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
As already stated dubias will breed at that temp range. Not as fast as if it was hotter but after 5 months or so most people have roaches in surplus anyway.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What about those wild roaches that you find eating decayed wood, we have them here and the Winter can sometimes reach 0. They are reddish-brown and black.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about those wild roaches that you find eating decayed wood, we have them here and the Winter can sometimes reach 0. They are reddish-brown and black.
The pa wood roach would work great if you can actually find some.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I lt my dubia flunctuate with room temp. Seems like they are on a yearly cycle. Most of the nymphs mature in early summer and by the end of summer lots of little uns. I go ahead and feed off most of the older, more tattered looking adults. By November it is getting down to 60 or so and breeding/growing pretty much stops.

Oh yeah-lobsters will also work. A little too well...IMO

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i got some dubias and some lateralis (the seller advertised them as orientalis but I think they're actually lateralis because males have yellowish wings that cover all their body)

v1641

Arachnopeon
If you want to breed a roach colony with roaches which can tolerate cold temperatures around 20 Celsius then one has to do a good study to select the correct breed. You don’t have to give extra attention to the temperature for them. The dubia seems to be a very good option for this temperature but only problem is their breeding rate. They seem to reproduce at a very small rate. One more interesting find is the easily available roaches on the wood. They also suit well to this temperature.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pycnoscelus surinamensis, Blatta lateralis, and Hemiblabera tenebricosa, as well as most Eublaberus species, will reproduce very quickly even in cooler conditions.