Coir Peat Brick from bunnings?

AustralianBirdEater

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I will soon be getting a new tarantula (phlogius crassipes) and ive run out of the pre-made substrate that was given to me with my first purchase. Im just wondering if "coir peat brick" from bunnings is an acceptable substrate? I know that its quite popular else where (USA and UK) but im just curious about the bunnings brand specifically, cos thats all we have got!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In all honesty I've never heard that brand until now (just Googled that). I use (and always used) the so hated coco fiber, but I'm not a fan at all of "bricks". They are annoying as hell and take forever to dry, therefore I directly buy KG of those on loose (and nameless, lol) bags. Nice quality, however. And here is very cheap.

I also use Irish Moss Peat as well.

A lot of US keepers, anyway, use topsoil and for many of them that's the first choice when substrate is concerned. I agree, but I live in Italy and here the general topsoil easy available sucks. Sucks a lot :-s

Now I don't have a clue about the brand you mentioned, but judging from this v I assume yes, sure.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brunnings-9l-coir-power-coir-peat-brick_p3023170

Sammilouise

Arachnopeon
Hi
That is what I use for my Ts. Just put a brick in a bucket and pour in hot/cold water. I now use cold water because otherwise it gives off this weird smell. Squeeze the peat with your hand until no water runs out and its good to use.
You can get sphangnum moss at Bunnings too. It's expensive but one packet will last forever.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
peat moss works great and IME holds burrows better than eco earth.