Cohabitation problems, G.rosea

Vayu Son

Old Timer
Last night i thought id try to move my male rosehair to live with the female, since they would be able to mate more frequently and perhaps even be roommates for a little bit. The container was roughly a 10" lengthwise circular container with 4" to the roof. relatively small for two spiders, but they would have room to breathe.

This morning substrate was everywhere, but the two spiders were touching, i took this as a relatively good sign. The male was alive.

Then i watched in disdain as the spiders moved, and under the substrate was a leg of the females.

She was really scruffy looking, and limped. I immediately removed the male to his own container and placed the female into the freezer for 5 minutes to slow her down for further examination. While this was happening, a paper towel and small plastic container were sterilized in the microwave.

Hemolymph/substrate balls were all over her enclosure, so i thought excessive bleeding may be the problem. When i took her out i saw a drop on leg 3 on her right side fall off. I placed my finger over her chellicerae and cupped her legs to have a look at her underside. There was hemolymph residue on legs 2/3 on the right side, and leg 2 on the left, right on the joint between the femur and the patella. Also, her pedipalps look like hemolymph had dried on them and clotted the hair.

Leg 1 left side was missing but not bleeding. I placed a small piece of unscented toilet paper on it, which stuck.. i did this to prevent any further bleeding. I tried this again on the other wet spots but had trouble getting the tissue to stick, so i wiped away the blood substance and no further bleeding occured. I believe the residue found on her other legs to be blood from the loss of leg 1.

She moves, but limps, and seems kind of shocked. She has been placed in an ICU. She has also managed to sway my opinions on the cohabitation between mates bit.

Any further advice, questions, or related happenstance are welcome.

Last edited:

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
The male attacked the female? This is highly unusual, u put it down to the containment area being too small. Like people, spiders need their space, if they are wandering around alot, and keep bumping into each other, then trouble is going to happen.

I wish you and your spider good luck.

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hope she makes it. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck.:( :D ;) :)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
My best wishes are with your T as well.

Although males attacking females is rare, it is not unheard of. Furthermore, I would think that it would be more probable in species where the male and female sizes are not that different. G.rosea is not overly sexualy dimorphic when it comes to size -- more just "build", with the males tending to be lankier. Are your T's different sizes? Anyone else have thoughts on sexual dimorphism and its effect on agression?

Cheers,
Dave

Vayu Son

Old Timer
size

same size, with the male alot more lankier and an abdomen a third of the females. The females fangs and mouth are also bigger.

As of tonight she is still alive in the ICU. but has little clear drops all over her as if shes sweating. I cant tell whether this is some form of condensation in the ICU or whether she is secreting hemolymph from her pores. ill keep you guys posted, and thanks for your good thoughts and wishes.

-V