Cohabitating

sammich

Arachnopeon
My friend has two emps and now wants to add a flat rock (I think that's what they're called) scorpion. Does anyone have any experience with these two spp. living together? I suggested putting clear glass in his terrarium to separate them and see what they do. Will this work? Any help will be great. Thanks!

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This will not work.
Pandinus (Emps) need humid conditions, while Hadogenes (Flat-rock) prefer extremely arid conditions. So one or the other will not be kept properly.

Add to this is that they will more than likely fight and injure (or kill) each other. Emps can be kept communally, sometimes with Heterometrus sp, but Hadogenes can not be kept in groups period.

To sum it up, they are different species from very different habitats, and one of them has a reputation for not being able to coexist with others. This will not end well, so just get a second enclosure for the new pet:)

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tell your friend that he shouldn't house them together at all. they have different humidity requirements and all he is asking for is a dead scorpion if he does put them together. A little research would have told him that it is a bad idea from the start. if he is unwilling to do the research, he shouldn't buy a flat rock or any other scorp.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would be interesting to see but the risk involved is very large and most likely there will be a dead scorpion. With that said, if your friend wants to try it it surely would be in the realm of possible, but it's almost guaranteed that one will die.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Would be interesting to see but the risk involved is very large and most likely there will be a dead scorpion. With that said, if your friend wants to try it it surely would be in the realm of possible, but it's almost guaranteed that one will die.
Everything is piossible to try, but why put a species of scorp into an improper environment? especially a species that is known to be less than tolerant to others of it's own kind?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Curiosity?
I'm curious about what sound a chihuahua makes when you run it over with a car... doesn't mean i am going to find out because i know for a fact running over a dog is the wrong thing to do.
It should be common sense you don't mix species from different environments together, just to see what will happen.

ideas1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm curious about what sound a chihuahua makes when you run it over with a car... doesn't mean i am going to find out because i know for a fact running over a dog is the wrong thing to do.
It should be common sense you don't mix species from different environments together, just to see what will happen.
Hilarious.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Everything is piossible to try, but why put a species of scorp into an improper environment? especially a species that is known to be less than tolerant to others of it's own kind?
recant, due to my ignorance, "I'm Where?"

Last edited:

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thaedion,

A Hadogenes species and a P. imperator don't have any where clsoe to the same enviromental requirements. Maybe you are thinking of the P. impetators/Heterometrus thread?

Mike

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thaedion,

A Hadogenes species and a P. imperator don't have any where clsoe to the same enviromental requirements. Maybe you are thinking of the P. impetators/Heterometrus thread?

Mike
Man that was dumb, I thought I was still in this thread here --> LINK, I thought it was Heterometrus and Pandinus, not Hadogenes and Pandinus :8o :8o :8o .

I own some 'flat rocks' and they are dry

I'll recant my above statement. That's what happens when I try to read all the new threads and send a reply during my 10min break at work...