Coco Fibre too wet?

Periwinkle

Arachnopeon
I used to have a few tarantulas some years ago and I'm finally getting back into the hobby but I've lost my groove on knowledge so I'm asking a question here.

Just treated myself to a Nhandu Chromatus juvi, it arrived this morning but my coco fibre that I started preparing yesterday is still sopping wet. Put the T in it's enclosure and it's not at all happy with the wet substrate, been on the wall for hours.

My main concern is the temperature of the tank, the wet cocofibre is cold and I'm worried about the tank being cold.

Is this harmful to the T and should I try drying it further or see if it dries off in a day or two?

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
What's the temp. around where your T is housed?

If it's super wet you should be able to hand wring it out to an extent. Taking a handful and squeezing will drive out some of the excess moisture if it's really wet. Otherwise, take some spread thin on a cookie sheet and set it by a heater vent for drying? When that gets dry enough you could do a partial/full substrate change so the drier layer is on top.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Not a fan of cocofibre myself. It tends to grow molt rather quickly. Your T won't freeze to death if it isn't excessively cold in the room. For winter time I usually have 22°C in my room. They will just slow down their metabolism and will become less active during those months. I would replace the cocofibre with regular potting soil. Just make sure there are no pesticides in the potting soil. Try to take a handful of the cocofibre. If you can squeeze out any liquid it is too wet. In that case you can put it into and old shirt and try to squeeze out as much of the moisture as you can. Usually that should make it dry enough.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used to have a few tarantulas some years ago and I'm finally getting back into the hobby but I've lost my groove on knowledge so I'm asking a question here.

Just treated myself to a Nhandu Chromatus juvi, it arrived this morning but my coco fibre that I started preparing yesterday is still sopping wet. Put the T in it's enclosure and it's not at all happy with the wet substrate, been on the wall for hours.

My main concern is the temperature of the tank, the wet cocofibre is cold and I'm worried about the tank being cold.

Is this harmful to the T and should I try drying it further or see if it dries off in a day or two?
You need to remove the "sopping wet" coco sub and dry it in the oven, I set it for about 350F. It takes too long to dry by average ambient air temps, and you will grow mold.

Basically you have given your T wet sheets to live/sleep in. We don't like that, neither do they ;)