Cockroaches that roll into balls?

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I cant remember the site but it showed roaches that look like the little pill millipedes that rolld themselvs into balls. Any idea what genus they are in?

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I cant remember the site but it showed roaches that look like the little pill millipedes that rolld themselvs into balls. Any idea what genus they are in?
You may be thinking of Perisphaerus semilunatus. There are a couple other species that are similar, and as far as I know they are found in the Phillipines.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cheers, i think thats it, the Genus sounds very familiar.

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello

Japan has some species that are black and have a metallic blue shin, really nice small roaches.

ftorres

McPede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Trichoblatta sp. and yes, they are really nice. :)

Best wishes
Fredrik

Last edited:

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Trichoblatta sp. and yes, they are really nice. :)

Best wishes
Fredrik
'Trichoblatta sp.' are a Perisphaerus. Though the term is somewhat synonymous, Perisphaerus is used to generally refer to "pill type roaches" while Trichoblatta is generally used when referring to a species or the genus specifically....

So in short, anyone who finds a pill-type roach has definately found a Perisphaerus. Not all pill-type roaches are a Trichoblatta.

McPede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
'Trichoblatta sp.' are a Perisphaerus. Though the term is somewhat synonymous, Perisphaerus is used to generally refer to "pill type roaches" while Trichoblatta is generally used when referring to a species or the genus specifically....

So in short, anyone who finds a pill-type roach has definately found a Perisphaerus. Not all pill-type roaches are a Trichoblatta.
Matt, I think you may be wrong. Trichoblatta are not a "Perisphaerus".

Perisphaerus is not a family, nor a subfamily.
Perisphaerus is a genus name, which contains a number of species.
Trichoblatta are another genus, also with a number of species.
But both Perisphaerus and Trichoblatta are under the subfamily Perisphaeriinae.
So if you find a roach with the ability to roll into a ball, I think it would be better to say that you have definitely found a member of the subfamily Perisphaeriinae...

Take a look at the Taxa hierarchy
http://blattodea.speciesfile.org/Common/basic/Taxa.aspx?TaxonNameID=50

Best wishes
Fredrik

Last edited:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think i have posted those years ago...they are very small, egg layers, but i guess the south east asian ones are way larger?although i never seen one of the bigger one so far

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Matt, I think you may be wrong. Trichoblatta are not a "Perisphaerus".

Perisphaerus is not a family, nor a subfamily.
Perisphaerus is a genus name, which contains a number of species.
Trichoblatta are another genus, also with a number of species.
But both Perisphaerus and Trichoblatta are under the subfamily Perisphaeriinae.
So if you find a roach with the ability to roll into a ball, I think it would be better to say that you have definitely found a member of the subfamily Perisphaeriinae...

Take a look at the Taxa hierarchy
http://blattodea.speciesfile.org/Common/basic/Taxa.aspx?TaxonNameID=50

Best wishes
Fredrik
This is what is meant by the term synonymous.

McPede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Matt!

Both Perisphaerus and Trichoblatta have "parental care" for their nymphs, providing them with nutrition and protection.
The phenomenon are also described in the book, "The Evolution of Social Behavior in Insects and Arachnids" by Jae C. Choe and Bernard J. Crespi.

Best wishes
Fredrik