Cobalt LD50????

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone know the LD50 of the H. lividum?? Just wondering because my cobalt just struck a lizard and then left the lizard...eventually the lizard couldnt move and had labored breathing...and about 3 hours ago i thought i finaly died...but....I just looked in on the T to see if it is eating yet, and i can see the lizard breathing again!!!! Lightly but it is none the less breathing....with the ocasional deep breath...

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by pixi14369
Anyone know the LD50 of the H. lividum?? Just wondering because my cobalt just struck a lizard and then left the lizard...eventually the lizard couldnt move and had labored breathing...and about 3 hours ago i thought i finaly died...but....I just looked in on the T to see if it is eating yet, and i can see the lizard breathing again!!!! Lightly but it is none the less breathing....with the ocasional deep breath...
I doubt anyone has ever determined the toxicity of these. Even if they had, the results would only mean something with respect to the animal used in the experiments, likely a rodent, and wouldn't tell you much about what to expect with a reptile.

Steve

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I'm not mistaken...

The LD in LD50 stands for lethal dose. Therefore since no deaths have resulted from T bites they couldn't rank them if they wanted to.

Phil

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: If I'm not mistaken...

Originally posted by Phillip
The LD in LD50 stands for lethal dose. Therefore since no deaths have resulted from T bites they couldn't rank them if they wanted to.

Phil
The LD50 numbers refer to lethal doses in test animals, not humans. The numbers are just expressed as units of the given substance per unit of body mass and an assumption is made that the results obtained from rodents is similar to that in humans, until proven otherwise. It's all a big, educated guess.

Steve

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rodents arent the same...

They have already seen that even harmless Ts venom will kill rodents pretty quickly and I believe that they already realize the difference. A good example of this would be how quick G rosea venom will drop a mouse yet is harmless to us.

Phil

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
see i didnt know this either! Always good thing to be open to learning something new.

i also wonder what would be the point of finding this out for this species.. i guess it all depends on what you're trying to research of course...

peace
dave