CO poisoning

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Monday morning I discovered tragedy had hit my home.We lost our ferrets,gerbils and treefrogs, but at least all furry creatures and humans are alive. I never purchased a carbon monoxide detector, but upon discovering all the deaths that morning, I opened all the windows in my house, and shut off the furnace,went out and bought one.When i plugged it in, it registered at 693. Human death can occur in forty minutes at 800.
The tarantula was/is alive. *whew!* It turns out, after gas company inspection that we have a murderous mouse in the house (my cats are fired) who built a nest in the pipe that runs from the bottom of the furnace up and out through the roof. This blocked the intake?/output? and my house was filling up with CO.
To make this tarantula related, the g. pulchra is fine, and has no signs of anything wrong..but last night (wednesday)when i looked in on her, she was laying FLAT.
Other than to give me a heart attack, what is the point of that behavior? She looked like someone had squished her down..completely flat, legs stretched out. She is fine now, prowling around her enclosure.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry about your losses...
glad your spider is ok...

as far as stretching out like that.... i've seen many of my spiders do that from time to time... but i'd keep a very close eye on her for a few more days.....

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I,m very sorry for your loss.
Glad you caught the problem before there were
any more losses.i'mAlso glad to hear you and you family are ok
and of course the little G.pulchra too.I think she'll be ok
but like Mike said"keep an eye on her.
good luck
Bryan

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am sorry about your losses. I am very thankful that you and your family are alive and well. That is very scary. As for the tarantula, I have no data/info concerning carbon monoxide exposure, but stretching is not an uncommon behavior.

Take care,

John

Last edited: