Climbing problems with A. Avic

jared_kipe

Arachnopeon
I built a new cage for my A. Avics. For the back/walls I used the yellow spray foam insulation. Then brown paint over it, then this rock like spray stuff over it for texture. The only problem? Even though it feels to the finger like it has texture, my Avic is unable to climb properly on it. She can climb fine on the wood sticks in the cage. When she does climb or tries to climb the walls it seems like her legs slip a little bit.

My question is there anything I can spray on the walls that will allow for better grip? Or do I have to do something like spray contact glue on it and sprincle some dirt.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I built a new cage for my A. Avics. For the back/walls I used the yellow spray foam insulation. Then brown paint over it, then this rock like spray stuff over it for texture. The only problem? Even though it feels to the finger like it has texture, my Avic is unable to climb properly on it. She can climb fine on the wood sticks in the cage. When she does climb or tries to climb the walls it seems like her legs slip a little bit.

My question is there anything I can spray on the walls that will allow for better grip? Or do I have to do something like spray contact glue on it and sprincle some dirt.
You could also try and very lightly rub it with some sand paper to roughen up the surface.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:? :? That's really weird considering they can climb glass!:? :?

jared_kipe

Arachnopeon
no, doesn't seem oily. I thought it was weird too. Is it possible that its just weird timing, and that she'll molt soon and be able to climb?

Crickets seem to be able to climb it ok. Though I haven't seen them climb it, they suddenly end up on the walls or near the top somehow so I assume they climb.

If she's going to molt she better go soon, as its been about 2 weeks since I put her in.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
no, doesn't seem oily. I thought it was weird too. Is it possible that its just weird timing, and that she'll molt soon and be able to climb?

Crickets seem to be able to climb it ok. Though I haven't seen them climb it, they suddenly end up on the walls or near the top somehow so I assume they climb.

If she's going to molt she better go soon, as its been about 2 weeks since I put her in.
Yeah that can well be it. You could try that wall by holding a cricket to it and see if it "sticks". Thus you'd know. If crickets can stick to it, it would be odd if the T couldn't for some reason. Pre-moult might be the answer.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a similar problem with my second A. avic. For awhile she couldn't climb the glass, but was sort of able to hook into the coco fiber wall thing (sold for hermit crabs). She seemed very clumsy, and sick. She ended up being in premolt. The molt went very badly, and she didn't survive.

I hope that premolt is the case with yours, and I hope that she comes out fine.

And, sinced you asked about a spray to help give it more 'tooth', you could always try spraying a clear flat/matte finish over the foam. I do not recomend Krylon for this though; it turns gummy and it attracts dirt, dust and lint like mad! My 'other' hobby involves expensive 1/3 scale resin dolls, and this spray has caused me nothing but problems... If you only have a couple of square feet, a can of testors flat/matte hobby spray may be all you need.

To our fingers, the Testors will feel smooth. But tarantulas dont necessarily need texture for climbing. I believe they rely on Van der Waals' forces like Geckos do.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To our fingers, the Testors will feel smooth. But tarantulas dont necessarily need texture for climbing. I believe they rely on Van der Waals' forces like Geckos do.

A combination of both I think. I know I have seen claw like hooks on the ends of legs of some of my T's... most notably a long while back my male T. blondi when he was playing spider man on the screen lid of a 10 gallon tank.

jared_kipe

Arachnopeon
It would have to be a combination, otherwise they couldn't climb sticks and things. You can feel hooks on their molts though.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Conversely to some people above, I wouldn't really recommend spraying anything glue-related anywhere inside your T's tank (whether its in there at the time, or not). There will invariably be bits that are not properly covered in 'grippy substrate' which may result in sticking your T's delicate scopulae arrangements TO the rock, which is something, I'm guessing, you're not trying to achieve.

Whether this would be a problem in practicality I do not know, but my instincts warn against the soundness of the theory...

So yeah -I'll jump on the bandwagon and say 'leave it and see what it's like after the moult...'

J

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seen the tarsal claws, and they are pretty impressive. But the majority of the tarantula foot is covered in setae. I may be way off base, but I believe that it is the majority of these setae that are used in climbing and that the tarsal claws are there for the extra security and grip when needed. I can't really see how the claws come into play when climbing smooth surfaces like glass, yet many tarantulas seem to have no problem doing such. I guess in a round about sort of way, I am agreeing that it is a combination of the claws and setae for general climbing purposes.

I also would never recommend spraying 'glue-related' substances on anything a tarantula would use. I only recommended Testors, because it is a finishing spray that has no adhesive properties when dry.

I also agree that it is your best bet to wait it out. Leave things in the tank alone for now, and give her some time. Good luck.

jared_kipe

Arachnopeon
Ok.

If I were to use glue, I'd put dirt or something on it. Also most glue drys hard and not sticky. Incase anyone wanted to see my cage here it is.

Attachments

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
That's a really nice, low effort cage! Really good! :)

Why I point out low effort (so you don't misunderstand me) I'm a DIY nut, and I'm always looking for the easiest sollutions to make beautiful and practical things ;)

Yeah, the glue you're speaking of would for sure be usable!

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is that not a bit big for an avic? they dont get huge...

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
get a can of textured spray paint from home depot and lightly spray the back. it will also make it look more like real rock :4:

jared_kipe

Arachnopeon
It already has a can of textured-rock spray paint on it.

It is big. I plan on putting another one in there to make it a comunal avic tank. Trying to find another, and dealing with this one's lack of wall climbing,