Clear container for Dubia?

BGL

Arachnopeon
I have my Dubia roaches in a clear container with egg cartons for cover. I'm hoping they'll breed. Is clear ok or do I need a dark plastic container or cover my clear one in tape?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I have my Dubia roaches in a clear container with egg cartons for cover. I'm hoping they'll breed. Is clear ok or do I need a dark plastic container or cover my clear one in tape?
in all of my research in setting up my own dubia colony, I found that they are photophobic. From what I understand, they will be stressed by the light levels and may not produce. Simple fix; replace the tub you are using by a solid colored tote, paint the outside of the tote you are using to block the light, or keep it in a dark closet or cabinet where the ambient light won't effect it. :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I just redid mine. I keep them in a closet that is mostly dark, and they seem to do fine. I did try constant lights on around them, but they seemed sluggish and didn't really do much of anything. Your container sounds good, just put it in a dark place :D

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Honestly having them in a clear container should be OK, that's how I keep all of my roaches. They'd probably feel more at home if you put them in a dark location, like in a closet or something. As long as they have plenty of hides they should be OK. :)

Geoff Armentrout

Arachnopeon
I was debating this myself when I setup my first colony. I went with clear. They are in my feeder closet the door remains open so there is a day/night cycle but no direct light I only turn the closet light on when I need to otherwise it's off. I decided the clear option was the lesser of the evils if they were put out of the way. Reason being I can glance through and see if I need to replenish food, if food needs removing before the usual 2 day grace period, etc,. I felt opening and closing to check was more stressful and with the clear it's kept to a minimum. If it actually is better I dunno I just felt it was :happy:

Geoff