Cleaning white oak leaves for millipede???

MilliMancho

Arachnopeon
I am relatively new to keeping millipedes.
There are some oak trees close to where I live in my apartment complex. I usually just buy leaves online for my smokey oak milli, but to save money I was wondering how to clean the leaves that I find outside so that they are safe?

I don't think pesticides are used on the trees here but is there a way to clean pesticides off of the leaves incase? Or should I just play it safe and not put them in at all?

It looks like other bugs have maybe been eating the leaves as well which is why I was thinking there might not be pesticides, but I love my millipede and don't want to do anything that would be bad or unsafe for him.

Any help is appreciated <3

MilliMancho

Arachnopeon
Also, can I give my millipede zucchini leaves? I have some in my garden and I don't use pesticides.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
zucchinni leaves are edible, though not sure how much they will want it! You can try some for sure :)

As far as cleaning leaves, if youre even a little unsure if pesticides are used i wouldnt use them. Theres some that get absorbed into the plant as it grows, not just on the outside.

However, if you are reasonably certain they are clean, just rinse them and you can cook them in the microwave for 45 seconds or bake them in the oven at 250-300 for 20-30 mins. Keep an eye on it, dont leave it unattended. I cook mine wet. if they are still damp from the oven, cook them longer. microwave youll want to let them dry out before feeding them.

MilliMancho

Arachnopeon
Ok. Thank you so very much!! I'll try some zucchini leaves. I'm unsure about pesticides because it is an apartment complex area so I'll just stick with online organic for now! It's worth a little extra money if it means my milli stays safe :)