Cleaning enclosures with bleach or soap...

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been keeping tarantulas for 8 years and I've never cleaned my enclosures with more than hot water and a cloth... in that time I've never had mold or mite problems. I've had 6 tarantulas die in that time 3 of which were ultimate males 2 were slings and one was a female which died from old age. In my opinion the use of any cleaning aid is unnecessary.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been keeping tarantulas for 8 years and I've never cleaned my enclosures with more than hot water and a cloth... in that time I've never had mold or mite problems. I've had 6 tarantulas die in that time 3 of which were ultimate males 2 were slings and one was a female which died from old age. In my opinion the use of any cleaning aid is unnecessary.
though some will disagree, we like to use a diluted bleach solution, with a hot water rinse. if you cut your solution with 10% bleach to the volume of water then you still get a VERY powerful sanitizer that washes away 100% when hot water is applied. I would never use soap or anything like that becuz you arent really sure its all gone. A lot of soaps and other cleaners leave behind residue and films that may or may not be harmful, but why risk it.

While you have been keeping T's longer than i have I've obtained my info from people who have been doing it the way i just mentioned longer than you and i have been alive, and they are still doing just fine.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sure there will be some who disagree... I'm aware that you can use a diluted bleach solution and I'm also aware that it is safe to use. I was merely stating (for those who excessively clean their enclosures or accidentally spray their tarantulas with bleach water) that in my experience it isn't necessary to clean enclosures with anything other than hot water and a cloth. I understand using this method in a pet store... It's more professional and you have to take absolutely every precaution you can to ensure that you are selling healthy tarantulas. You also have the experience to do so without risking harm to your tarantulas. For the record I didn't mean that it was ineffective only that it was unnecessary. I'll stick with my method works great and it's less expensive. ;)

Last edited:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wouldn't rubbing alcohol also work since it evaporates?
Personally, I only clean as needed, or between T's if I'm using the same tank.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alcohol degrades plastic and rubber so it's not good for cleaning most items commonly used for keeping T's. This includes glass terrariums because of the sealant in the corners.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alcohol degrades plastic and rubber so it's not good for cleaning most items commonly used for keeping T's. This includes glass terrariums because of the sealant in the corners.
Good to know.