Cites

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looking through a catalogue on some T's,I noticed some T's have the word "CITES" beside them....What does that mean?.....peace..

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It means that the particular species is listed on the CITES endangered species list for one reason or another. As far as I understand it, anything on the CITES list cannot be transported across continental borders without a "birth certificate" to prove that it was either captive bred, or that you have otherwise received special permission to transport the animal..

If you live in the US, and are buying from a dealer in the US, it really shouldn't have any effect on you. If you're outside the US, it may be a different case, but I doubt it.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
To add to what Slide said...

C.I.T.E.S is an acronym. It is the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. The purpose of this convention is the protection of wild animals, and plants.
There are 3 appendices under CITES.
Appendix I: Species of plants and animals listed under this appendix have protection against commercial trade. Flora and Fauna listed are threatened with extinction.
Appendix II: Flora and Fauna listed under this appendix are not immediately threatened with extinction, but are species of concern, and may become extinct if trade is not checked. Trade is allowed only with permits from both exporting and importing nations.
Appendix III: Plants and Animals under this appendix can be traded if the exporting country allows, and issues a permit.
That's a very basic overview of what CITES is and does. Most, if not all, countries that import and export native plants and animals are members of CITES.
CITES is not at all perfect in protecting plants and animals, and ironically can doom a species to extinction. Example: Big Hairy Spider is listed under Appendix I of CITES. Big Hairy Spider is threatened with extinction in the immediate future, mainly due to habitat loss/or destruction.
Big Hairy Spider has no where to live, and cannot be exported. Big Hairy Spider is doomed with extinction, 'cause the country of origin does not recognize it as something worth saving. Habitat loss and destruction continues.
Though, I have faith in CITES, sometimes member nations should look deeper, and make special exceptions to rules.
john

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
Originally posted by Slide
As far as I understand it, anything on the CITES list cannot be transported across continental borders without a "birth certificate" to prove that it was either captive bred, or that you have otherwise received special permission to transport the animal.
Just curious, how do you get a "birth certificate" for the slings?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
"I have been told" (and old cliché and not sure if the following is fact) that if I breed my B. vagans that I must photograph "the act" and keep careful written and photographic records as Mexico has listed them as endangered. (We are only about a 4 hour drive to Mexico, so WCs are common here.) If I should ever be approached by an official that wants to know if I ilegally imported them, I'll have backup to show that they were CB. Does that have something to do with CITES?

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
They can't just come in your house and check out what you have.
If you are a vendor or plan to sell them then you might have an issue. As long as they are just pets there should not be a problem.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well of course I'm going to sell them!

=D Only the people on this website would KEEP 200 slings!!!=D

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
They would probably make pretty good trading fuel,
if you TRADE instead of trying to sell them.

It may be a good way to get a T or 3 from your want list.

Keeping 200 of them would be kinda NUTS!:rolleyes: ;P

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Whoa! Brilliant idea! I never thought of trading! Well, I guess I better get those two together... and my a. avic that I sent to Texas has met with a female and played a little drums with her, but hasn't gotten the idea yet. But, he will, and hopefully I'll have some little avics to trade too!!:D

O.K., there are 10 species on my wish list.............