Cicada swarm pics?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has anyone posted the swarms of Periodical Cicadas by them if they have any? If your really lucky, anyone seen the blue eyed cicadas?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very cool:clap: man i remember when i saw that up in ny when i was little. can never forget that.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lucky, We didn't see any new ones that year, even though people said they would, maybe our backyard only allows the normal ones :p

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering what left those 'skins' on the tree. Are these the same insects that make the really loud hissing/clicking sounds?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was wondering what left those 'skins' on the tree. Are these the same insects that make the really loud hissing/clicking sounds?
those are the nymphs of the cicada they are in that stage under the ground,then when they emerge they shed into the adult/wings and noisey{D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, thousands... I think I've read about a recipe for cooking these things up. Here's a specie I saw in a desert canyon in w tx. And a really small specie I found in my backyard.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That 2nd one is really small!

One time I found a cicada with some pink color on it's body, no joke! It was only a few lines but still it stood out from the rest. I took a picture of it with a regular camera but the picture was so blurry you couldnt even make the cicada out.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply! I feel like i have learned something today ;P

They still look a little creepy to me though. Still cool none-the-less.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When me and my cousins were young we were afraid of the cicada adults and nymphs that emerged each summer, and in my Grandmas yard she had alot! Our Great Grandma loved cicadas and used to let 5 or so nymphs crawl on her shirt when we went over in the summer. Then she caught a few of the males and they made the really loud buzzing sound. Offcourse we were terrified to even go near her or the cicadas, but eventually I wasnt afraid anymore and would collect them each time I went over in the Summer and I used to scare my family by letting them crawl on my shirt and head.