Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB ) mating

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
[YOUTUBE]oZ29OE1uwdg[/YOUTUBE]

This girl was very unreceptive to the male, but finally it happened today! My personal thanks go to RobC for valuable info on simulating Spring season! Makes a lot of difference when you do it right :)

Last edited:

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
[YOUTUBE]oZ29OE1uwdg[/YOUTUBE]

There you go. ;)

elecoj

Arachnopeon
What is the size of you female GBB? Is it okay to breed her at 4.5 inches thanks hope you get an eggsack

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
If you ever get some slings I'll buy one of ya.. :) Hope everything went well.

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
What is the size of you female GBB? Is it okay to breed her at 4.5 inches thanks hope you get an eggsack
She is 6" in leg span. I tried to mate 2 of my females when they were 4.5" with 2 different males and none of them showed interest in mating and were very aggressive to males. I suggest that you wait 2 more molts before giving it a shot. Next molt she is gonna be 5.25" and the one after next - 6" and it will take 7-10 months depending on feeding schedule and temperature.

If you ever get some slings I'll buy one of ya.. :) Hope everything went well.
Fingers crossed :) It's amazing how her behavior changed within a matter of one day from pairing. Before mating she was so calm and slow and wouldn't eat more than 1 cricket in 4-5 days. Now I just don't recognize her! She became very aggressive, eats like a pig and reacts to slightest disturbance!

Lolita

Arachnoknight
thats exciting i hope you get a nice sack out of it man that male bolted afterwards hopefully i'll not be broke and be able to afford some when they hatch out their on my wishlist

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I just got around to checkin out that vid. Gotta love how crazy things get after the deed! {D Great footage and track! :clap:

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
I just got around to checkin out that vid. Gotta love how crazy things get after the deed! {D Great footage and track! :clap:
Thanks Doug! Yeah that guy was lucky to escape LOL She grabbed him and held on to for a good second or two before he managed to shake her off.. Not a scratch! :)

Last edited:

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome videos and soundtrack :p i hope everything goes well and you get a healthy egg sac :D the male did not wanna ware his welcome out one bit after he finished his business haha

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well the GBB is kinda like the idiots that come from the sex department lol :) Females will sometimes automatically eat the male without even attempt and if males do attempt they have no clue sometimes what they are doing.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What actions did you take before breeding. Just mist the tank a lot to simulate spring or was there more? Thanks!

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
heavy watering so that it seeps right into their burrows! Thats what you need to do. She will go through males like pairs of socks otherwise. Then dry her out again when shes gravid (high humidity kills adults if its constant apparently) you need to flood again to induce laying of the sac aswel, just try when shes big n fat, refusing food and webs her hide a lot (not emerging much) good luck!

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
So do you spray the female's cage down?
I rarely spray the cages, as it puts unnecessary stress on spiders. I just use a big plastic syringe to wet the substrate.

What actions did you take before breeding. Just mist the tank a lot to simulate spring or was there more? Thanks!
Female's cage (5.5G) was placed inside a big (20G) breeder tank with substrate, logs and water dish to help the male settle in. For about a week I kept the substrate wet in both small and big tanks, making sure humidity didn't go below 70%, temperature was 80-82 during the day and 75-77 at night. Once I noticed female got interested, I removed the lid from her tank, so the male would have access to her whenever he felt like mating.

Here's the set-up from my previous breeding attempt, but at that time the females were too small, so nothing really happened. This time it worked.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I rarely spray the cages, as it puts unnecessary stress on spiders. I just use a big plastic syringe to wet the substrate.

Female's cage (5.5G) was placed inside a big (20G) breeder tank with substrate, logs and water dish to help the male settle in. For about a week I kept the substrate wet in both small and big tanks, making sure humidity didn't go below 70%, temperature was 80-82 during the day and 75-77 at night. Once I noticed female got interested, I removed the lid from her tank, so the male would have access to her whenever he felt like mating.

Here's the set-up from my previous breeding attempt, but at that time the females were too small, so nothing really happened. This time it worked.

Thanks for helping me out!