Choosing new T, suggestions?

SkitterAlong

Arachnopeon
I lost my almost-but-not-quite 9 inch T. stirmi last week to a bad molt - had her for years and raised her from a sling! - so I'm a sad pup right now. I also now have an empty 20 gal I'd like to put something in. Any suggestions for a T that approaches or equals the stirmi in size, likes a humid warm live-planted setup, but doesn't have the same molting problems? Color isn't important. Not against a arboreal. Tank is tall so it would work for a burrower, I can get almost a foot of substrate in there. :) Will be looking to trade a trio of Disneyland parkhopper tickets for the spider, that's a $300 value there. :cool:

cnapple

Arachnoknight
Lasiodora parahybana springs to mind, as a species that gets almost as big as T. blondi. They are really hardy Ts. They don't like it as humid as T. blondi however, so I'm not sure if you would be able to maintain the type of vivarium setup you're thinking of. Another possibility would be Lampropelma violaceopes which is one of the largest arboreal species. They like higher humidity levels and can act as arboreal, semi arboreal or even burrowers in captivity. They're a bit on the pricey side however. Anyway, that's just my $0.02. Sorry for the loss of your blondi, she must have been very special to you, having had her for so long.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lasiodora parahybana springs to mind, as a species that gets almost as big as T. blondi. They are really hardy Ts. They don't like it as humid as T. blondi however, so I'm not sure if you would be able to maintain the type of vivarium setup you're thinking of. Another possibility would be Lampropelma violaceopes which is one of the largest arboreal species. They like higher humidity levels and can act as arboreal, semi arboreal or even burrowers in captivity. They're a bit on the pricey side however. Anyway, that's just my $0.02. Sorry for the loss of your blondi, she must have been very special to you, having had her for so long.
Some very good choices
I would consider a Lasoidra Klugi as well - they get very bulky
P. Ornatas are pretty big pokies
Hmm have you considered a colony? A colony of Holothele would fit pretty nicely in a 20 gallon (just make sure to provide alot of hides!).

SkitterAlong

Arachnopeon
I had thought about an avic colony, something that would like a tall tank that can be filled with branches, bark, plants, logs etc. :)

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avics are pretty cannibalistic try p.regalis if you wanna do an arboreal colony! Although if they ever get out your in trouble!

SkitterAlong

Arachnopeon
How many p. regs do you think can I put in a densely planted 20 gal? I'd just release a bunch of slings and see how many make it. I'm liable to end up with gravid females and a heck of a lot of slings if the T's are comfortable..freebie sling giveaway at a future bbq, anyone? :p

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would guess you can probably fit in at least 15 but I would be worried about cannibalism so try 10-15, some peoples colonies are a sucess some are total failures - I hope if you do one it is successful! Breeding is awesome in communal tanks!

Make sure to invite me for the freebie slings bbq ;)