Choosing an Avicularia

AliciaMarie

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I am new to the hobby and would like to start out with an Avicularia. Tarantula Canada currently has three morphotypes of Avicularia avicularia in: metallica, geroldi and kwitara. I can't decide which one to get. The geroldi looks gorgeous. What are the differences between the three?

Liam52

Arachnopeon
“Metallica” is just a different morph of A. Avicularia (M6 to be exact), so it’s standard Avic husbandry requirements. I have an adult male that I absolutely love. He’s very laid back for the most part but doesn’t hesitate to leap across the enclosure if provoked. They’re a beautiful display species in the right enclosure. I have mine in a tall acrylic enclosure and he spends most of his time on the glass or on his web hammock. When you shine light on them they have an almost fiber optic quality! 10/10 would recommend!

Btw: my profile pic is my best pic of him!

AliciaMarie

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much @Tenebrarius and @Liam52. I have done a fair bit of research on A. avicularia and its husbandry. I should have phrased my question better. I was more curious about size, temperament and appearance differences between the three morphotypes. Your Metallica sounds awesome @Liam52 and very much what I'm looking for temperament wise.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Don't just look at Avics... IMO C. versicolor is one of the best beginner arboreal T. They're quite hardy when kept properly and also very laid back as well (at least mine is ;)). And they are absolutely gorgeous! ♥

20190914_pretty after rehouse.jpg

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I know metallica is considered the largest of the morphs, so that would be a + (or a - depending on how you feel about big spiders) As far a looks go, be careful about going by dealer photos. At the very least dealers use the best photo they have, and at worst use photoshop enhancement (not saying Tarantula Canada does this). I always check other photo sources when interested in a species I'm unfamiliar with.

Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Thank you so much @Tenebrarius and @Liam52. I have done a fair bit of research on A. avicularia and its husbandry. I should have phrased my question better. I was more curious about size, temperament and appearance differences between the three morphotypes. Your Metallica sounds awesome @Liam52 and very much what I'm looking for temperament wise.
Hobby Avicularia metallica and sp. Kwitara are pretty much identical, they're both the same morphotype. The only noticeable difference is the green hues of the Kwitara locality. Both get 6+" with whiteish brown abdominal gaurd setae with an overall frosted bulky look.
Hobby Avicularia geroldi leg setae is not grizzled (lacks the white tipped setae of metallica and sp. Kwitara), giving them a slimmer not as fuzzy appearance. They reach about 6". These look much more like the common Avicularia avicularia M#1 but the obvious difference is the lack of red setae on the abdomen and hind legs, instead geroldi have blue leg and abdominal gaurd setae.
All three are typically the same in temperment, docile...

AliciaMarie

Arachnopeon
Hobby Avicularia metallica and sp. Kwitara are pretty much identical, they're both the same morphotype. The only noticeable difference is the green hues of the Kwitara locality. Both get 6+" with whiteish brown abdominal gaurd setae with an overall frosted bulky look.
Hobby Avicularia geroldi leg setae is not grizzled (lacks the white tipped setae of metallica and sp. Kwitara), giving them a slimmer not as fuzzy appearance. They reach about 6". These look much more like the common Avicularia avicularia M#1 but the obvious difference is the lack of red setae on the abdomen and hind legs, instead geroldi have blue leg and abdominal gaurd setae.
All three are typically the same in temperment, docile...
Thank you so much @CEC!! That was the exact information I was looking for.

Also, thank you to @SonsofArachne and @Thekla.

Caribena versicolor would have been my first choice but they don't have them in stock and I don't think they will be getting them in for quite a while. Our options are limited here up north, and there is controversy regarding one of the sellers so I don't want to purchase from them. I have dealt with Tarantula Canada to get my P. reguis and they were great to deal with. If I could find a local with something I would go that route but that's a no go either. You guys are lucky down there with all of your vendors to choose from.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Thank you so much @CEC!! That was the exact information I was looking for.

Also, thank you to @SonsofArachne and @Thekla.

Caribena versicolor would have been my first choice but they don't have them in stock and I don't think they will be getting them in for quite a while. Our options are limited here up north, and there is controversy regarding one of the sellers so I don't want to purchase from them. I have dealt with Tarantula Canada to get my P. reguis and they were great to deal with. If I could find a local with something I would go that route but that's a no go either. You guys are lucky down there with all of your vendors to choose from.
Tarcan are great to deal with. You could always call them or email to see if they know when more versicolor would be available ( if you haven't already) . I know they had them before august and had sold out.

P regius are awesome. I picked up 2 last time they had them in stock.

AliciaMarie

Arachnopeon
@Brachyfan I fully agree. Amanda and I spoke at length on the phone when I ordered them and she has been amazing to deal with. We have been messaging back and forth but there are no C. versicolor coming in anytime soon. They just got their last shipment for the fall and I don't think they will get some until the spring. They did get the aforementioned Avic species in though which is why I was trying to choose between them (or getting all three ). <edit> Thank you again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I have 3 kwitara and the ends of their hairs are whiteish, very cool. They don’t look like any other avics I have

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi all,

I am new to the hobby and would like to start out with an Avicularia. Tarantula Canada currently has three morphotypes of Avicularia avicularia in: metallica, geroldi and kwitara. I can't decide which one to get. The geroldi looks gorgeous. What are the differences between the three?
Pick your choice. As said, the caring is the same basicly

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve owned all 3 localities.

Anything you’d like to know?

Exceptions to all:

Metallica most docile
Sp Kwitara- very slow growers
Geroldi- more nervous than Metallica