Choices for new sling?

LD67

Arachnopeon
So, it seems I have a choice between a Mexican red rump (bracypelma vagans), a Mexican red leg (b. emilia), and a Itabuna scarlet (lasiodora itabunae).

This is basically a beginner T for me. The Chilean rose hair I had a while back was too curious about my cat so it had to go. Cat passed away some time ago, so now I'm looking for a new T and this is what the shop has available. Temperament is more important to me than how big it is. the more mellow, the better. Any thoughts on the 3 listed above? I'm leaning towards the redleg.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
The vagans or emilia would be the best IMO. I'd lean towards the emilia too(it's next on my list of wants)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Lasiodora tend to be on the nervous side, it's fairly rare to find one that's docile. It sounds like the B. emilia is what you're looking for. I'd still recommend the L. itabunae if you're looking for a T that has an excellent prey response and understated beauty, though.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
These are all the shop currently has. I'm kind of leary about mail order.
As long as you order from a respectable dealer (net-bug, ken the bug guy, swifts inverts etc etc) you should be A-ok! you can check their reviews in the reviews and reports dub-forum.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The rose hair was too curious towards a cat?
Not sure if I read it correctly...but are you saying you quit keeping the rose hair because it was to curious towards a cat? How can that be an issue? The rose hair is in the enclosure, the cat in the room.
I don't understand.....

LD67

Arachnopeon
As long as you order from a respectable dealer (net-bug, ken the bug guy, swifts inverts etc etc) you should be A-ok! you can check their reviews in the reviews and reports dub-forum.
It's not so much the source as it is the changing weather.

LD67

Arachnopeon
The rose hair was too curious towards a cat?
Not sure if I read it correctly...but are you saying you quit keeping the rose hair because it was to curious towards a cat? How can that be an issue? The rose hair is in the enclosure, the cat in the room.
I don't understand.....
My cat would sit on top of the tank where I had a wire mesh. The T would get up there to check her out. My cat would try to open the tank. Instead of being aggressive, my T looked like it was trying to help open it. I didn't foresee good things happening.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
It's not so much the source as it is the changing weather.
The general rule is as long as the temp stay lower than 90 and higher than 30-35 you should be fine. The seller will ship with a cold or heat pack if you ask them to but most do it anyway without asking.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My cat would sit on top of the tank where I had a wire mesh. The T would get up there to check her out. My cat would try to open the tank. Instead of being aggressive, my T looked like it was trying to help open it. I didn't foresee good things happening.
I can assure you that tarantulas did not survive for millions of years by walking towards animals 10x it's size to "check it out."

As for the question, I'd go for the Brachypelma Emilia. One of the prettiest T's out there IMO.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
These are all the shop currently has. I'm kind of leary about mail order.
B. emilia is my suggestion, calmer of the 2 Brachypelma you listed, my vagans are hair flickers at the slightest disturbance. I can't comment on L. itabunae as I've never kept any Lasiodora species, so far. ;)

I understand the buying locally, but knowledgeable sellers/shippers pack well so that shouldn't be an issue. Over the years I've had only one DOA during shipping and was promptly refunded the cost of the T. As suggested, check the For Sale and Vendor Review sub forums when you decide to have critters shipped later down the road.

LD67

Arachnopeon
I can assure you that tarantulas did not survive for millions of years by walking towards animals 10x it's size to "check it out."

As for the question, I'd go for the Brachypelma Emilia. One of the prettiest T's out there IMO.
I totally understand. I'm just reporting what I saw. Maybe they had some sort of plan for world domination. I just couldn't take that chance.

LD67

Arachnopeon
Great choice! My Emilia sling is around the same size as yours, heres to the two of us having to wait forever for them to grow! :p They're amazing little critters, best of luck with yours.
Good luck to you too! After they get full size, we'll wish they were babies again.