Chipmunks as pets?

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As a child (~10 years old) I caught a baby chipmunk in the woods where we played nearly daily. He was tiny, and probably less than a month old. I (with help) built a large cage we kept in the back yard. We never closed the cage, it was always open so he could come and go as he pleased. He would venture out into the neighborhood during the day sometimes, but he always came home at night to the food, water, and safety of his cage. He and Baron, our Brittany Spaniel, became best friends. They chased each other around the house, and if you can imagine what it looked like to see the chipmunk chasing the dog, it was hilarious!
One night Chipper didn't come home, and after about two weeks, we assumed one of the local cats had eaten him. Then one day, Baron approached me with something obviously in his mouth. He walked right up to me, and as I extended my hand, he dropped Chipper into it. He was FINE!!! Baron had missed him too, and had gone out and found him and brought him home! We had him for about another year before one of the neighbor's cats DID get him.
So if you can get one before it knows it's a chipmunk... {D

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I had a chipmunk... HYPER little girl, but awesome pet.

yeah I'd assume they'd need a giant cage like sugar gliders have... something for lots of climbing and jumping around in.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Just out of curiosity, why does everyone see a cute animal and say, "I want that as a pet"? I am not passing judgement, just curious.
Because cute animals make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside. People also want to interact and touch cute animals and be able show them affection and form a bond with them.