Chinese Mantids?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got bugs!! :D

I was at the garden center getting some "starts" for a few veggies that I don't start on my own... and found a cup of Mantids. There's two nice looking Ooths in it waiting to swarm with little Aliens. I called the place that distributes them and they are for sure Tenodera aridifolia, or Chinese Mantids.

Will a screen enclosure be okay? Is 70ish F warm enough for them to hatch and survive? Do they have a humidity requirement? Can I feed them flightless fruitflies in the beginning? How soon before I have to separate or release outside.. to avoid cannibalism?

Is it worth trying to keep a couple or three pairs and get them to mate later? Mantids have been on my "wish list" for months now, but I didn't want to spend $50 or more on Orchids or Ghosts and just kill 'em from inexperience. I don't plan on killing these either, just cuz they were reasonably "cheap"... but y'know what I mean, right? I dunno.

Anyhow, any good care sheets out there? I know there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum... you've all helped me with numerous "rescues" in my time here.

Thanks!
~Aminah

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A screen enclosure will work as long as the screen is small enough to keep in the fruit flies you are going to need to feed the hatchlings. I keep nymphs in one of those butterfly mesh cages.

70ish will be fine.

Mist them once a day while young and then a couple times a week as they get older (helps with molting).

Keep the ooths suspended in a container like a 32 oz delicup with a moist paper towel at the bottom. The mantids will need room to come out and humidity is important for a good hatch. I use a dab of hot glue to set the ooth on the side at the very top.

You'll want them to eat each other to some extent or you will have 200+ mantids to take care of. It's going to be awhile before there is enough of anything to eat outside.

Orchids are touchy to raise; Ghosts are fairly robust.

Here's a good mantis website www.mantidforum.com

Here's a caresheet link http://www.mantisphotos.com/tenodera.htm

If the ooths weren't being kept cool when you bought them, its hard to say when they will hatch. Typically, 4-6 weeks once exposed to warm conditions.

Have fun!

I got bugs!! :D

I was at the garden center getting some "starts" for a few veggies that I don't start on my own... and found a cup of Mantids. There's two nice looking Ooths in it waiting to swarm with little Aliens. I called the place that distributes them and they are for sure Tenodera aridifolia, or Chinese Mantids.

Will a screen enclosure be okay? Is 70ish F warm enough for them to hatch and survive? Do they have a humidity requirement? Can I feed them flightless fruitflies in the beginning? How soon before I have to separate or release outside.. to avoid cannibalism?

Is it worth trying to keep a couple or three pairs and get them to mate later? Mantids have been on my "wish list" for months now, but I didn't want to spend $50 or more on Orchids or Ghosts and just kill 'em from inexperience. I don't plan on killing these either, just cuz they were reasonably "cheap"... but y'know what I mean, right? I dunno.

Anyhow, any good care sheets out there? I know there are lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum... you've all helped me with numerous "rescues" in my time here.

Thanks!
~Aminah

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also have some chinese mantis ootheca I am hatching out. Lets keep in touch and compair notes. I cant wait for mine hatch. I have 7 other ootheca if anyone wants one.

Tom

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks so much, padkison. :)

TNeal, I'll surely let ya know what happens. It should be interesting comparing notes and stuff with the different coastal weather playing its part. It's already pretty warm here... in the 70s every day and low 50s at night. I'm afraid it won't last, though... darn Global Warming stuff. Like I said, it should be interesting ;)

Thanks again,
~Aminah

P.s. I still haven't replaced my dig cam, so pics will be difficult from this end. I'm holding out for the "big toy" ...an SLR! {D

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay, so I've been a member of mantid forum for awhile now... doing my research for the bugs on my wish list (ie. Orchids, Flowers and Ghosts).....

..but when I posted regarding these Chinese guys, I get conflicting replies re. nymph care and overall care. I read the care sheet... thanks again, padkison.. and it briefly mentions cannibalism, which I was aware of already. It does not mention any other specific difficulty in hatching out or rearing the nymphs.

So, any ideas? I just want to be as prepared as possible for any issues, problems, etc.

Thanks again..