Chinese Golden Scorp

jimmysp4des

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently obtained a Chinese Golden Scorp from a local pet store. I've looked all over but can't seem to find any info on housing requirements for this species, I've used the search tool here to so please don't point me there. I'd be greatful for any help, especially first hand knowledge, on keeping this scorp, thanks.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was gonna say, I thought I had seen Lychas spp with that common name as well (the joy :rolleyes:)
You might should try to post some pics of that scorp. Even with pics we should be able to distinguish if you have Mesobuthus or Lychas. You will want to know as both specie's captive care differs.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just curious, how much differnt Brian? I thought both were generally semi-arid with exception that vertical levels are needed for lychas... I am but a peon compared to some of you guys though, so I may be confusing.

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lychas is a barkscorpion although they are supposed to be kept a little drier than Centruroides or Tityus according to Walton and Scott Land. I just acquired my first specimens last weekend so I have to rely on what others are saying.
M martensii has a rather wide range from desert like environments to at the edge od the Sea according to the Biology of Scorpions by Gary Polis. Most people that have done well with M martensii keep them pretty dry but not as dry as say Leiurus/Androctonus. I had 2 or 3 a few years ago that died of old age about a year or so after I got them. They were wild caught adults so no telling how old they were and they never bred. I never got around to replacing them.
Do like H hottentotta, dry substrate with a constant supply of water. I have noticed they appreciate water more often than Leiurus, Androctonus, Parabuthus.

jimmysp4des

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ill try to post a pic, please check bk tommorow if you can and tell me what i have , thanks