Chinese Giant Orange...

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I suspect this is Scolopendra s. dehanni. Am I right? It is more orange than the pic suggests. I lightened up the pic as I do most of mine. The flash is just not bright enough.
I just picked up two of 'em. They are beefy! And more bitey than anything I've had.
john

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
John,

Sure looks like it... I always thoght the de haani looked more orange that other subspinipes. They are notoriously nasty critters... supposedly the S.s. de haani can reach lengths in excess of 11"... how large are yours now?

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The ones I have are kinda orange. For some reason, my camera doesn't capture that very well.
Even that "Thai purple", which is indeed purple/burgandy, comes out brown. Now, when I take these pics sometimes I have to brighten them up using the Kodak software. When using the macro feature, the flash doesn't always flash the whole subject.
Regardless, they are a tad more ballistic than the other S. subspinipes sp. I have. The S. h. castaniceps are tame by comparison.
The ones I have are around 9".
john

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

that looks like an awesome pede, sounds like they get some nice size too, are those hard to come by in the hobby?--Jeff

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Looks just like the one that just molted for me. Have to try and take some post molt pics to show it off. :)

Scott

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the picture, John.
Maybe you will get lucky and that beefy you call it will be an actual gravid:D